I Need Help Redecorating The Bachelor Pad! - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

I need help redecorating the bachelor pad!

Hi guys,

I've just joined the forum because I need advice. I am undertaking a daunting project redecorating the bachelor pad that my boyfriend and his friend have lived in and not taken care of for four years!

I want to make it a traditional, minimalist living room and I'm going to start it next week.

Some of the pictures I have posted will show you the extent of the problem haha! The things I want to change are;

To have all the awful purple stripped from the skirting boards, stairwell and doors, maybe the coffee table then re-stain (not sure what colour, how dark, any suggestions would be great)
New lighting and door fixtures (again, any suggestions would be great)
Re-plaster on the back wall where the paint is "bubbled" from damp
New paint
Have the couch re-upholstered
Maple hardwood floors
Add venetian blinds to the windows (not sure which colour). Not sure how to attach the blinds because there is no space between the top of the window frame and the ceiling.
New couch rugs
Have the chimney swept so we can use the fire place
These are the things I want to tackle, but have no idea about paint, stain colours etc.

I would really appreciate if you could look at the pictures and offer some helpful suggestions.

Here is a link to the pictures: http://s935.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20-%20BEFORE/

Thanks
Jasmine

Advertisement

Lady_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Just kidding...

I assume this is an owned condo and not a rental or something?

I think you need to clear out some clutter and see what you really have before getting to carried away. And be careful. Us guys say we don't care about nesting the way you do but just watch us when something filthy and disgusting we love gets tossed away! Do not touch that beer bottle collection! Could lose a boyfriend if you are not careful. Are he and his roommate into this scheme of yours or are you planning to surprise them some weekend when they are away?

Would be hard to recommend colors for anything until you shared a bit more about what you had in mind for new fabric and so forth. If it is a surprise you plan to spring on him? I would go with lavenders, minty greens, dusty roses and of course mauve.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Hi,

Thanks for your response! I wasn't planning to surprise them no. They are fully onboard. The beer bottle collection is partially mine so I'm going to keep that. I was going to clear some of the clutter off the shelves and paint the walls an off white this week. Will post some pictures later in the week.

I want some suggestions as to how to attach the blinds if possible. The window frame hits the ceiling and so there is nowhere to put the rail

Thanks in advance!
Jasmine
Lady_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_J View Post
Have the couch re-upholstered
slip covers are cheap if you are really on a budget you can make one from a sheet. it will provide an immediate impact with a minimal time and budget hit.
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_J View Post
Hi,
I want some suggestions as to how to attach the blinds if possible. The window frame hits the ceiling and so there is nowhere to put the rail

Thanks in advance!
Jasmine
If I am seeing the photo correctly, the molding around the windows is angled so you have not flat surface for mounting there?

Looks like you should be able to mount the end clips for the blinds to the underside edge of that top molding. You will just have to buy custom cut ones but that is no big deal and I doubt you will have to custom order. You will probably be limited to 1"W ones or it might look strange.

Only other option I see would be to attach into the molding itself and that will look funny for blinds?

And by the way, save yourself headaches and toss the screws that come with blind and drapery hardware. They break and the heads strip near instantly even if you are careful.

Last edited by user1007; 03-01-2010 at 04:30 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote