I Have ZERO Design Skills. PLEASE HELP - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2016, 06:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

I have ZERO design skills. PLEASE HELP

I need help coloring my kitchen. In the picture the wall on the right above the microwave is a dark brown. I think the old can says portabello brown. The other wall is a almost flesh tan color. Both walls wrap around and continue so the colors are staying for now or until I get bored this winter. I like the idea of light top cabinets and darker brown or charcoal or any dark color on the bottom. I want to do white or off white tile backsplash between the counter and cabinets in the next few weeks. Microwave is probably coming out and being replaced with a hood and stove will eventually be stainless.

Colors I have- Ill just upload pictures since My color scheme is whatever is in a rainbow. I dont know all the fancy stuff.

Or sand and stain the cabinets?

First pic is the kitchen, the rest are the colors I have. I would like to use those but Im open to getting something else.

Advertisement

sethg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:55 PM   #2

My design skills are pretty limited too...not sure if this helps--but I just googled images for two-toned kitchen cabinets and saw some pretty cool ideas.

Advertisement

LagunaBeachRent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 22

Re: I have ZERO design skills. PLEASE HELP

Personally, I like orange kitchens (on the walls, but orange laquered cabinets look pretty awesome as well). I did a kitchen when I lived in Florida in Tuscan Orange Venetian Plaster. I burnished it instead of using a topcoat, and it came out freaking *amazing.* It's a lot of work, but it isn't all that hard. It looks like there isn't a lot of wall space in your kitchen so it would be less work.

I also did a small kitchen once in a kind of an aqua color, and it looked great. Also had lime green walls in my mom's house. I liked that as well. Personally, I think kitchens should be fun and feel like a place you want to hang out. They should be bright, not dark. Just my taste. Have fun with it whatever you decide.
jazzycatdances is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2017, 10:35 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 1,454

The lighter, the better. Reflects more light, shows less defects in the surface.

Swiss Coffee is always a safe and easy color to get. Consider using Egg Shell. Semi-gloss is a good kitchen finish...but mat is also ok.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 32

you look pretty limited on natural light. i would use very bright, light colors, or you kitchen will look like a dungeon. maybe even add some lights above the cabinets to reflect off the ceiling down.. other than that i do like the idea of multiple colors in there
yamaha6611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:45 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 8

Agree with ddawg16, your kitchen would definitely benefit from cabinets of shades of white!
lolagrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:54 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 76

Hello..
very well design "sethg1981".
Everyone has different choice of color, but I personally like Dark & Light color combination.
viveksuthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:06 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by viveksuthar View Post
Hello..
very well design "sethg1981".
Everyone has different choice of color, but I personally like Dark & Light color combination.
Huh?

Advertisement