Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2011, 08:44 AM   #1

Share |

How many shams/pillows on the bed?

Hi!
This is my first time and first post on this forum and I can't wait to get started because I live for this stuff! Anyhow, we just got a comforter and comforter cover for our queen bed, from the Company Store. (It took me forever to find just the right shade of pale yellow) :-) Now, I can't stand too many pillows. . . .anywhere: on a bed, on a couch, wherever. Some, yes, but not a gazillion. So, I found some shams and throw pillows at West Elm - there's a store near me so I could go in and actually SEE them (very important for pillows!) I don't care for a lot of West Elm furniture, even though I totally love modern, but they have terrific pillows, just beautiful. All right, to cut to the chase, I am thinking about an asymetrical look: one Euro sham with one standard sham, and then a long (14 x 36) pillow in front of those. Here are the links to the shams, and to the long pillow:

http://www.westelm.com/products/spri...y=call-bedding

http://www.westelm.com/products/embr...y=call-pillows

I also got this pillow to see how it looked on the bed instead of the long pillow, thinking I would return it if I didn't want it. But, I have a dark, solid brown couch and this pillow looks amazing on the couch - it really pops. So I am thinking of keeping it. :-)

http://www.westelm.com/products/brig...y=call-pillows

Anyhow, so my question is, what do you think about my asymetrical look, the one Euro sham with the one standard sham, and then one pillow in front on those. (The shams would sort of cover up the two sleeping pillows, which are pale yellow). Or should I just do the two standard sham thing? I like to be creative and different, if it looks good. Thanks everyone!

thedecoratorinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #2

Have you tried going to the store and placing them all on a bed? I really like test drives of decorating since it's sometimes hard to picture the finished product.

GuruClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #3

Yes, I have, and that does help, except the comforter is different from what I have at home. Actually, it's all set up now and I love it!
Old 04-27-2011, 02:54 PM   #4

That's great to hear! Do you have a pic? I'd love to see the final result.
GuruClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #5

unfortunately, no digital camera (soon to be remedied) and the pic from my cell phone is awful. I wound up using the one "Euro" sham, which I LOVE, and one regular size sham, and the long pillow. I bought two regular shams but my daughter is using one of them, it goes perfectly with her bed setup and her room! I have to restrain myself when it comes to pillows. But I'm constantly switching them around - eg, couch to chair in bedroom, couch to bed, bed to couch. . . it satisfies my insatiable need to decorate without spending a dime. Now I have to find a throw blanket for the bed in midnight blue, and we're also going to paint the wall behind the bed midnight blue. I found a great throw blanket in that exact color on etsy but it was more than I wanted to spend ($82 including shipping). Anyhow, soon starting my next project: an entryway table for our small condo made from reclaimed wood and hairpin legs!
Old 04-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
Pretending to be Retired

Quote:
Now, I can't stand too many pillows. . . .anywhere: on a bed, on a couch, wherever. Some, yes, but not a gazillion.
Obviously you and my wife don't think alike! I guess I am more the only pillow needed on a bed is the one I sleep on, and she is more the "oh my gosh I see a little piece of the comforter showing so I need another pillow on the bed" type. I have banned any and all pillows on my Lazy Boy rocker recliner. The bed, sofa and chair are all hers to "pillowtize" to her hearts content.

BigD9 is offline   Reply With Quote