Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Help with kitchen, too many whites!

I moved in to a new apartment where everything is painted some different shade of white or off white . It makes everything look dysfunctional and dingy.

I need help with the kitchen, the cabinets are a brilliant white, the walls are an eggshell off white, the countertops are a white and light tan speckled type pattern. The floor is a dark tan and white tile.

BUT management here is pretty strict on painting, if I want to paint, I have to keep the colors extremely neutral and they approve the color first. They won't let me repaint the cabinets, so I figured I would get a wall color to tie it all together.

What neutral color could i possibly use to tie tan colored countertops to the brilliant white cabinets?

Also, the lighting in the kitchen is all fluorescent, which makes the cabinets look terribly bright in contrast to everything else, what type of lighting can i get to tone down the cabinets in contrast to everything else, but is still bright enough for kitchen activities.

Thanks!

Albivander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #2

It's hard to tell how bad it looks from your description, but if the cabinets are glossy you could lightly sand them with the finest sandpaper you could find to turn them into eggshell or whatever is one level flatter than they are now.

Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #3

I'll take a picture and post it when I have a moment. The cabinets it appears were painted with a semi gloss paint. I did try and lightly sand it but the paint just came off and revealed what looks like laminate over particle board type material, I would guess. But its just a bunch of different whites and the only thing I can really work with are the walls.
Albivander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albivander View Post
BUT management here is pretty strict on painting...
Then decorate around it.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #5

Since your main option is to paint the walls a neutral color that your apartment management approves, I'd go with a light to medium tan color that would complement the tan in the counter tops and be lighter than the tan in the floor. Having the walls this darker color will eliminate the contrast between the bright white cupboards and the current off-white walls. Then you can use accessories to add color and tie the white and tan together.
KathyBales is offline   Reply With Quote