Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Poll: Which should we do (keep in mind TV):
Poll Options
Which should we do (keep in mind TV):

Old 05-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Fireplace w/ TV focus point. Stone to ceiling or not? POLL

We bought our first home last week, and am currently remodeling several things, one of which being the living room and the fireplace.

The fireplace/chimney will be the focus point of the living room, with a TV hanging above the fireplace. We tore out the existing painted wood framing because it was VERY ugly, and will be re-facing it with most likely stone and hopefully a fireplace wood burning stove insert.

Here's where we need your help. Keep in mind we will be hanging the TV above the fireplace. Should we put stone going up all the way to the ceiling..... or should we re-face the fireplace with stone, a mantle above, and then have drywall going up to the ceiling?

Here's some pictures I found on the internet:

Stone all the way up to the ceiling:

Fireplace with stone, painted drywall up to the ceiling:

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

6fthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
Drywall and Painting Pro

Rewards Points: 274

6fthook, Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the area at your house where the fireplace will be? It's hard to tell by just the example photo's that you posted. There's so much variation with the ceiling height'sand room setup ...

-Paul

Checkout some of my How to videos->How to Secrets from a Drywall Finisher
Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir MixAlot View Post
6fthook, Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the area at your house where the fireplace will be? It's hard to tell by just the example photo's that you posted. There's so much variation with the ceiling height'sand room setup ...

-Paul
Extremely important. And what width of stone wall makes sense? What width of wide screen TV APPLIANCE makes sense to you today may not be enough to you tomorrow. You must keep up with the Jones? Or just decide to take it down in a month or a few years. You are stuck with stone.

I don't own a television but am a designer---not interior but I work with many. I get everything I need to watch via my computer including breaking news, movies and tv shows not even licensed for tv yet---some actually good. Legally.

I watch them via a projector the size of cigarette pack and fed from either my laptop or smartphone. It projects a crystal sharp image 100 inches wide or so against a nice surfaced white wall or two in my place. I travel with it and have been known to use it against a garage door in hoods where kids gathered and needed to be silenced so I could talk with their parents.

My model? I got it doing beta tests years ago but I think the new retail ones go for $800 by the time you buy the cables and so forth.

Is it as clear and sharp as yours? Dunno. It is laser though.

My point is, I guess, I thing you limit any options going with two much stone.

That thing adds nothing but a square of black to your room over the fireplace? And they are at a neck crooking place up there when you think about it.

One thing I loved about your second photo is the interior designer tried to adjust for this by turning all the seating away from the two conflicting focal elements. You do know, if you don't keep up with technology, your real estate agent, when it comes time for you to sell the house, will have to describe why you expanded stone to make a flat screen look in place?

Last edited by user1007; 05-25-2011 at 10:07 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote