Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2011, 08:13 AM   #1

Share |

Finishing Basement Laundry Room

Hi everyone, I am hoping to get a bit of advice on our laundry room project. Right now the laundry room has concrete floors, 2x3 walls with the top 4 feet insulated and drywalled. The bottom 4' is open.

We want to finish this and I have a Google Sketchup design in mind but need some advice.

I will build a soffit box along the back upper part of the wall to hide some HVAC piping that goes up through the floor above the dryer. I need to put the plumbing and the dryer vent tubing into the wall or soffit box it. Because the walls are 2x3 I need to either build a soffit box around the dryer vent pipe or remove the wall entirely and build a 2x4 wall. The house is 23 years old and this area has been sitting like it is since then.

I am just wondering if would be better idea to remove 2x3 walls and build new 2x4 walls with plumbing and dryer vent inside hidden or use current walls and build soffit box on outside of wall to hide dryer vent. I will be using a dryer box/washer box for the connections.

Option A saves me space (dryer can sit flush against wall, but Option B is quite a bit less work (just insulate and drywall bottom 4' plus build soffit box.

Here is the sketchup:

NickWa is offline   Reply With Quote