Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #1

Share |

Face plates and plugs or switches inside -- must they match

I'm ordering oil rubbed bronze face plates for outlets in kitchen with new granite counters and backsplash. The plugs and switches in the outlets are white. I don't think it will look right.....will it? Any advice? If they must match or at least coordinate, any idea where to get the new plugs and switches?

TIA.

JDpenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

After buying granite countertops, are you worrying about replacing the white plastic with metal/cast plates and new electrical fixtures?

There are no rules, just whatever suits your eye and opinions.

Dick

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #3

We're selling this home; agent and husband don't think it's necessary to replace the white plugs and switches. I think it will look funny in a somewhat upscale home.

Thanks.
JDpenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You don't have a lot of stock color choices for switches and outlets. White, beige, brown and black. Sometimes the more you fuss with something the worse it ends up looking. I personally would add more lawn ornaments to detract buyers from the color of outlets and switches in the kitchen. Lawn ornaments sell houses!

Seriously? Some will cringe at this but if they really bother you? And you think white ones will drop the selling price of the home by $20-30K? You yourself would not offer on the house if you were looking? Then fix them for sure.

Buy a can of Krylon Fusion paint (specially designed for painting plastic) in a rattle can and in a color you think goes better with the outlet covers. Generously mask off the area around the switches and outlets---you will have to cut for the GCFI buttons with a hobby knife or something. With the power off, spray the outlets and switches. A few light coats will produce better results than trying to hit them with one. Replace the covers. Turn the power back on. Private mail me for an email address to which you may PayPal my commission check.

Last edited by user1007; 02-22-2012 at 04:11 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:24 AM   #5

Often, switch plates are quite inexpensive.

You can also try lighting showrooms - they often have big catalogues of switch plates, drawer pulls, etc. IIRC Lowe's and Home Depot offer some, but I think it's quite paltry.

What finish is your faucet? Ideally, your switch plates would not be drastically different in finish from your faucet. Like a stainless steel faucet with black iron switch plates? That would be weird.

Syd
hardtimesdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:07 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimesdesign View Post
Often, switch plates are quite inexpensive.
You can also try lighting showrooms - they often have big catalogues of switch plates, drawer pulls, etc. IIRC Lowe's and Home Depot offer some, but I think it's quite paltry.

What finish is your faucet? Ideally, your switch plates would not be drastically different in finish from your faucet. Like a stainless steel faucet with black iron switch plates? That would be weird.

Syd
I think you misread the post. The OP has selected coverplates she likes. She is concerned about the color of the sockets and switches themselves.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:11 AM   #7

Oy, you're right! I suppose that is a risk I run when I post late night, apologies.

In that case, I know there are metallic spray paints out there - perhaps if there is one in the right color, that might work? I've only spray painted wood so I don't know how well it adheres to plastic. sdsester, maybe you know?

Syd
hardtimesdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:16 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimesdesign View Post
Oy, you're right! I suppose that is a risk I run when I post late night, apologies.

In that case, I know there are metallic spray paints out there - perhaps if there is one in the right color, that might work? I've only spray painted wood so I don't know how well it adheres to plastic. sdsester, maybe you know?

Syd
As mentioned in my post, Krylon Fusion is for plastics. It comes in the most colors but only in rattle cans. Rustoleum makes similar products but not in so many colors. They do make a plastic primer that comes in rattles cans and liquid form. You can, in theory, paint over it with anything,
Old 02-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
It's always something

They sell colored outlets/switches. I've only seen them in black, beige, or brown though. This would be a good option because when you plug in something the first time, the paint will get scratched off ( if it was me ). Painting the outlets is common and you get a variety of colors but just think about the longevity of that paint job.

I'd be interested in seeing pics on whatever you decide to do.

Good luck!
SingleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #10

Swap them out for black ones. Black disappears.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #11
ltd

just my 2 cents , fancy switch plates goes back to the day when electricity was new and you were highlighting it, bragging. today you want it to disappear, and paint it the same color as wall .personally i would just leave it white or ivory. but you know what? who knows
ltd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
just my 2 cents , fancy switch plates goes back to the day when electricity was new and you were highlighting it, bragging. today you want it to disappear, and paint it the same color as wall .personally i would just leave it white or ivory. but you know what? who knows

I will second that, nobody is going to notice
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #13
long island, NY

actually, I think it would look odd to have switches and outlets that are a different color from the rest of the home. keep it consistent! I'm quite a fussppot about these types of details... generally, IMO, it's best that the outlets and switches are as inconspicuous as possible. If you're selling, go with the realtors advice....

diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
face plate, outlet