Existing Hardwood In Kitchen & Entry Way - Need Advice Complementing Wood To Install - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2014, 08:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Existing Hardwood in Kitchen & Entry way - need advice complementing wood to install

I have a natural oak 3/4 inch 2 1/2 hard wood in my kitchen & entry way - carpeting on my 2 flights of stairs (12) total and entire upper level of my townhome. I plan on staying in this unit for an additional 5-7 years. I have a small dog and cat and would like to tear out all of the carpeting and replace with hard wood. My dilemma is what type of wood, width and color will best compliment the existing hardwood? or do I tear it out and start from scratch...I would rather not tear out, if it can be avoided. I want it to look nice and be neutral and light for resale....any suggestions...I can't look at any more wood samples....I'm so confused...Help!

Advertisement

Michelle6690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 72

Existing Hardwood in Kitchen & Entry way - need advice complementing wood to install

Hello Michelle. The best hardwood for floors & stairs are oak, maple and poplar. They are more sturdy than other hardwood. Also, don't worry with the mismatched floors & stairs, you can always stain them to match it with the current hardwood that you have.

Advertisement

emmyshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:59 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,272

A good floor sander and installer can blend the old with the new--

However,if the existing floors do not need refinishing--just choose a prefinished floor that looks good with what you have---I suggest you stick with red oak,if that is what the existing floor is--that way,you could hire a sander to blend and stain the entire floor,if your new work looks like a complete mismatch.
RHeat (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 07:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

I can suggest you two most preferred options to go for one are solid wood flooring and another one is engineered wood floors. One of the best benefits of solid wood flooring is that they can be sanded and refinished many times. You can install solid wood flooring above or on grade.
Another option is engineered wood floors manufactured of multiple layers of woods. Sub layer can be of same wood species or of different wood species. Generally the top layers consist of high quality wood flooring it can be installed above or on grade.
callfixie is offline   Reply With Quote