Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2014, 06:49 PM   #1

Share |

DIY Rustic Pot hanger

Heres our last little project.
It a little beginning to the kitchen reno. We will be painting (yes i know we should have painted before hanging this to the ceilling...)
Then some concrete counter tops and a new stain colour for the cabinets...

So it all started with my grandpa coming to visit us for a few days. It was planned and we knew this sunday he was coming over for 3 nights and then to stay with other familly members.
My dad had in his shed for nearly 25 years these cattle links? (not sure of what they are called in english...) but i know they were used to attach cattle to a carriage of some sort.

It came from my great grand parents farm and stayed in the family. Last year when my parents sold their house it landed in my hands. They sat on the floor somewhere until a couple week ago my girlfriend got fed and said i should do something with them or atleast put them away somewhere...
I already had an idea for a pot hanger and taught they would be at their place in this project. Plus if i could get it all done before my grandpa visit it would be nice for him to see.

So i bought a nice piece of walnut wood, some hooks, chains to get it all together, a couple standard sockets and some mason jars.

All the metal pieces were sanded to remove the zinc plating and then sprayed with a salt, vinegar and peroxide solution. They rusted quickly, i protected them with a clear coat of varnish. I fixed it all together.

We then had a nightmare of a time to get it fixed to the ceilling, but when i realized that under 2 layers of drywall there was a plywood, i used 4 inch screws and it worked fine. The piece of walnut it 70 inch long, around 12 inch wide and weight rougly 40 pounds... Its been holding there for over a week, between the walnut and drywall is a 1*3 forens.

I found some old type bulbs to stick with the rustic look. Mason jar were used with the socket to make the lights, hanging from the rusted chains.

The cattle links were coated with polyurethane on the wood and a clear varnish on the rust, i did not want to remove from their history, but wanted something clean since its in the kitchen...

We cant really see on the picture but it is pretty much centered over the island cooktop/stove.

My grandpa seemed to have like it and liked the fact that it was a piece of our family history taking part in my pot hanger!

Sorry i dont have so many in the making photos.

louis-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:26 PM   #2
DIY staff

DIY Rustic Pot hanger

That's nice----very nice-------someone here will know the proper name for the wood harness fittings---

Old 03-27-2014, 02:18 AM   #3

DIY Rustic Pot hanger

The are things one buys at auction for 25 bucks and sells for 12. They are Hames.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fairview For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-27-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 07:47 AM   #4

DIY Rustic Pot hanger

I think it looks great. very different!
Devz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:13 PM   #5

DIY Rustic Pot hanger

I like it a lot, makes it look very country style
JamieH4 is offline   Reply With Quote