Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2008, 12:17 PM   #1

Share |

degree in interior design

Hey Everyone!

I am currently looking for a career change from health care to interior design. I have always loved interior design but it really has never gone any further than decorating my own apartment. I am currently looking into masters programs in the Boston area. However, I really do not know much about the field. How important is where you receive your degree from? I am looking at Suffolk and Boston Architectural College. Does anyone know anything about either of these schools or have any other suggestions as I continue looking at schools?

Thanks so much!

lfalzarano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
MetalArchitect

What kind of job are you looking for; to work for your self? a big company?
We a have a very successful interior designer with very little education experience, but he has his own business. I would suggest getting your degree find a part time job in the field while getting ur degree so you have a better idea of the industry and what they require. Any additional certifications help as well as experience with design programs and being able to draw.

Good Luck!

Rkeytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #3

I wanted to add to what I posted before to see if anyone had any further ideas. I am applying to Suffolk, Boston Architectural College, and New England College of Art. Does anyone know anything about these specific schools? Boston Architectural College has a class structure where you work full time for an interior design firm and take classes at night. It seems like I would get the most practical experience there, but the other two schools are more well known. Any ideas?
lfalzarano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:07 PM   #4

The questions/answers are interesting to me, too, because I'd also like to change careers and find something in interior design. I'm not in a position to pursue a degree and am wondering if getting a certificate is worthwhile. I'd like to work as an assistant in a design or staging firm, residential or commercial. Is it realistic to think I could find a job (again, not looking for a top spot) with a certificate? And if yes, can anyone suggest certificate programs that are respected in the industry? Thanks!
lwojo is offline   Reply With Quote