Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #1

Share |

Creating picture gallery wall

Hi,

For years I kept this photo of a room where they use molding to create several long shelves along a wall. Then they painted a bunch of differently shaped frames, spray painted them all the same color and sat them all out on the shelves leaning against the wall (I think there was an outer 'lip' to keep them from sliding off). They called it a "picture gallery wall".

Now that I'm ready I have looked everywhere for that magazine, but can't find out. I have googled 'molding shelves' and variations, but all I find are these crown molding shelves that aren't what I'm after. They are too elaborate.

The ones I want have a small profile. Very simple - just an inch or two away from the wall and a small upward lip. Can anyone suggest what I can use? Or better, have you seen a photo of such a setup? I do better with a picture pattern!!!

thanks,
Deanna

deannad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Check here for ideas.

http://www.craftforum.com/

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:42 AM   #3

These are 2" wide/deep, 3/4" plywood shelves, with panel moulding (1 5/8" tall), that is installed 3/16" proud of (not flush) the top surface of the plywood.

There are plenty of small moulding you could use, just make sure the height of the moulding allows for the "lip" and covers the plywood, with enough for a small lip below as well...unless you want to fill the flush bottom and sand before finishing...blech.

I've never attached such narrow shelves, not sure what would work best, hopefully others will chime in.

...and yeah, I was bored this Sunday a.m.

Last edited by Jay123; 09-19-2010 at 06:45 AM.
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #4

you could be looking at something like this: http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/prod...cc_frame_ledge
epson is offline   Reply With Quote