Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #1

Share |

Complicated Living Room

I have a complicated living room layout that hasn't left me many options as far as decorating. The room is fairly large/ open but the builder put french doors covering the back wall. 2 doors on ends of wall and double french doors in middle?? Not sure why. The wall directly across is a room seperating fireplace (which is double sided). So there is really only one large wall we could use for our sofa and we hung a large flat screen tv with a credenza underneath on the opposite wall. I have a large canvas on wall behind sofa. I love my color choice on wall...no problem there but the room looks so empty. There is no room for chairs because of the french doors so we customized our sofa to have chaises at both ends. This creates a square in the middle so I haven't been able to decide on what or if something should go in the middle. Sorry if this is confusing...it's a very strange room. Every time I walk through it I just feel its not complete. Any help would or advice would be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Complicated Living Room-living-room-7-1.jpg   Complicated Living Room-living-room-8-2.jpg   Complicated Living Room-living-room-5.jpg   Complicated Living Room-living-room-6.jpg  

Last edited by kwood4444; 05-04-2012 at 12:50 PM.
kwood4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #2

Complicated Living Room

Pictures! Then we can start giving our armchair interior decorator advice!

knotquiteawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #3

Complicated Living Room

I'm having a hard time getting the photos to attach to my post... I will keep trying.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Complicated Living Room

Are you using photobucket? You can direct link the photo into the "image" tag on here, very easy.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #5

Complicated Living Room

I just had to resize, they were too large. Thank you for the tip!
Old 05-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #6

Complicated Living Room

Feels like it needs something in the middle, like a coffee table. Seems like a lot of empty space between the couches and TV.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

Complicated Living Room

I agree. A low laying center/coffee table.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #8

Complicated Living Room

I've wanted a coffee table but can't decide what kind. So do you think a low, medium size, wood coffee table would fit well?
Old 05-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
I'm Your Huckleberry

Complicated Living Room

Yup, but not certain how dark the wood stain/finish should be. Might want to try and match the desk under the tv.

Here's a few.

http://zeointerior.com/wood-coffee-table.html
Old 05-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #10

Complicated Living Room

I'll check it out! Thanks alot!
Old 05-05-2012, 04:58 AM   #11

Complicated Living Room

A nice area rug would soften the space in the middle.

Also, there is no rule that says your couch has to be against a wall. Its kind of difficult to tell from the pics, but because the room is large it may look nice with some chairs or that couch separated or a chair, either in front of the fireplace or with its back to the french doors. Leave plenty of room in behind to leave the doors functional and to make the space still feel flowing. Just my 2cents
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:48 AM   #12
Mod

Complicated Living Room

If it was me I’d hang the TV over the fireplace and center the sitting furniture in the room with area rugs.

I have to say, “I” don’t think much of your couch. It doesn’t look very “company friendly”.

If you have the neighbor couple over for a movie who gets to sit and who has to lay down?

Last edited by kwikfishron; 05-05-2012 at 06:23 AM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #13

Complicated Living Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
I have to say, “I” don’t think much of your couch. It doesn’t look very “company friendly”.

If you have the neighbor couple over for a movie who gets to sit and who has to lay down?
My wife loves those types of couches. Thankfully I've been able to talk her out of it every time we've been couch shopping. I think I would keep one of the end sectionals and replace the other end one with a standard couch end, OR make it a true "L" couch.

Also, The rug idea is really one of the best I think, That will also make a huge difference.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #14

Complicated Living Room

I agree. You need a rug to ground that room. Pull the furniture away from the wall. Do you use that door much? Seperate the furniture. Maybe some end tables. coffee table?
ddesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #15

Complicated Living Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotquiteawake View Post
Feels like it needs something in the middle, like a coffee table. Seems like a lot of empty space between the couches and TV.
Disagree on the coffee table. You have an open room. Why clutter it with a table that will serve no purpose but to collect magazines, remote controls...blah blah blah.

hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote