Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #1

Share |

Color-challenged single guy here

I just bought this house in Florida, which unfortunately had a huge mirrored wall and ugly green carpet in the living room. I took the mirrored wall down and put up new drywall, and I bought a medium dark oak laminate for the floor. At first I decided on some combination of brown or beige, but now I'm thinking I need warmer colors instead (shades of green or orange maybe?).

I've been dwelling on this project for a few months trying to decide what to do; been asking friends and family for help, but I get the typical responses, "I'm sure whatever colors you decide will look great." I took that sort of advice on my last big painting project and it turned out terrible (then I said, "see, told you guys so"). Bear in mind that I'm absolutely terrible at picking out shades, let alone colors!

I need a 2- or 3- color combination that will bring both rooms together (open floor plan), plus the little purple hallway, but won't wash out the light cabinets and that neat coral wall, but will look good with brown wood floor and brown furniture. The new drywall sticks out from the wall, so I'm going to separate that with white trim. I'd like that new drywall and hallway to be a lighter shade than the rest of the walls.

Now I'm just tired of living in a house with half-finished rooms. I beg you guys...please help!
Attached Thumbnails
Color-challenged single guy here-panorama.jpg  

HawaiianKong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #2

I'll try to help, but at times my color picks are not too great either.
I would get rid of the pink hallway in the right corner.

Now are you going to keep the sofa in the picture? If you are I would look at painting the living room area a Light Cappuccino. It is a tint of brown, but light enough to accent the floor and furniture.
If you do not like that then look at a green in either Dinner Mint or Mint Extract.

If you go with the first pick then paint the kitchen area a Mantilla Lace. Most kitchens are done in yellow. This color has a touch of brown in the yellow with out being over powering.

Now these are just suggestions so go take a look. I got my color samples at True Value.

logluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #3

Took your ideas into consideration when I got some samples from Home Depot (no True Value around here). I got a cappuccino-type color, plus some possible coordinating beiges and a bold orange-ish color thrown in for the heck of it.

I'm not a fan of the orange, but I think I'm coming close to some suitable colors. Might get some shades of green tomorrow.

Thoughts? Opinions? Any recommendations for the existing colors (e.g., lighter, darker, browner, yellower, etc)?
Attached Thumbnails
Color-challenged single guy here-photo.jpg  
Old 07-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #4

I like the one on the lower right. The ones you have behind the couch would just hide it and make the room too dark.
I learned a trick the hard way. Always have light colored walls where the sun will shine on them or it will make the place look like a cave.
My husband loves dark blue. Bleah! I sponge painted white over it and that helped.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #5

Something else to consider is paint the walls with the lighter color on the bottom left of the new samples and used the one on the right as an accent wall color.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #6

I like the lower right as well. Keep in mind that I need a complimentary color to go with it. The new drywall will be a different color than the top of the wall, which will be separated by fluted white trim.

I went this route because the new drywall is 1/4" sheetrock installed over the damaged sheetrock after taking the mirror down. I want this part to be lighter in color to open the room a bit.

What do you think about the lower left on the new drywall, and the lower right on the rest of the wall? (or vice versa maybe?)
Old 07-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #7

Vise versus.
The darker on the bottom and lighter up high. Will reflect the light better.