Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2011, 04:57 AM   #1

Share |

Clueless-Living room ideas?

Hi everyone. New to this forum. I'll be moving into my first home in a few weeks and am struggling to come up with a look for my living room. The rooms all have have dark walnut flooring.I know what I like, but don't know whether it all goes together.All I know is that I want leather sofas and pale olive green paint on the walls. I have no idea what rug ,curtains and furniture suits the colour scheme?

I'd appreciate any help!

Lil Miss

lilmissre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:36 PM   #2

Beautiful color choice! Not only is green a peaceful earth tone but it is also pretty neutral. Beige, Yellow, Brown, Orange, Blue, Black, White, and of course various shades of Red go very well with green. It sort of depends on the overall look you are trying to achieve, traditional, contemporary.... etc. I'm a little eclectic myself and love to try different things. Sometimes bringing in the furniture pieces and other favotite things you know you for sure will be using in the room can sometimes inspire your second color choice.

vicpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #3

I was in a similar situation a few months ago.. based on what you said I would say use beige, kaki, and brown accents. I bought some bronze spray paint and painted some picture frames and it looked really nice. Good luck!
dawg803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #4

Maybe a Sisal rug would work well for you. I was also in a similar situation a few months back.

I moved into a new place and didn't know what to do with my new bedroom. I searched and searched for help - tried to find an interior decorator but most wanted to charge over $80/hr and I had a sub $1000 total budget. In the end I posted on some of the interior design schools in SF and found a young interior designer that does some decorating on the side.

So far, I stuck to more neutral tones, but I know how hard it is figuring out a palette and working with it. One thing I learned though is that accessories really help, things like pillows or choosing an accent color that works well with you olive green and dark wood (maybe yellow?) that you can use for picture frames, vases, pillows, etc.
GuruClay is offline   Reply With Quote