Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

claw foot tub??

I am in the process of fixing up a house from the 60s. Every surface is being refinished or replaced. The design of the house is still a huge L with a 45 foot long hall with 11 doors on one side. (Very poltergeist)

Basically I'm asking what you would think about having a claw foot tub in the master bathroom. I think the upgrades I'm making are more traditional. There is the picture of the vanity in the powder room. It also has 18 inch travertine tiles on a diagonal, pure white crown molding and bead board up to a plate rail height, a light grey above the bead board and an oval mirror that sits away from the wall. So again traditional but classic I in my opinion. In the rest of the house we'll have dark colored hardwood floors. So i know a claw foot tub will not fit the age of the house but it would fit in with the rest of the upgrades. I just wonder if it would throw some people. Ironically this tub I have in mind is from the late 1800s and is cheaper than new plastic ones from lowes or homedepot.
Attached Images

Toriej92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

claw foot tub??

So, "They're back?"

Have you shopped at a real bath fixture store? You may find a tub that you like better. I would be squeemish about a clawfoot offered for the same price as a piece of box store plastic crap? Unless you rescued a real one from an architectural boneyard or something?

An interior designer would be able to help you find exactly what you wanted and most work on commission for the things they buy so are not just for the rich. I think you might enjoy the experience. I always have and they have all saved me tons of money over trying to shop retail for things myself. They have access to places us mere mortals do not.

I would also worry about whether the clawfoot is going to fit the character of your home? If you want a freestanding tub, I think something more fitting with a mid-century home would be more appropriate? If anything I would lean forward in time from the 60s and not back to the 1800s and 1920s?

I worked mainly on antique homes much older than yours. It always concerned me when clients wanted bath and kitchen enhancements that while nice and of quality would never fit the house and would always look out of place. Usually the interior designer and I could sway them. None ever let on to being disappointed.

Last edited by user1007; 07-24-2012 at 06:37 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
DIY-er

Rewards Points: 75

claw foot tub??

One of my favourite styles is a mix of the traditional and modern, and you could continue this theme throughout the rest of the home. Sometimes it takes just a few small pieces, such as as an antique sidetable and centrepiece in an otherwise modern room to create an amazing atmosphere. I have seen many examples of clawfoot tubs in an otherwise modern bathroom in design magazines and books.

Here are a couple photos on my website http://www.home-additions-startup-gu...beautiful.html - one of the clawfoot tubs is in a modern bathroom, and one in a more antique bathroom.

You can go to Flickr or istockphoto and type in "clawfoot bathtub" to see more images
KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote