Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #1

Share |

CFL flame tip bulbs?

I tried this thread in the "Electrical" frum and didn't get much feedback. Maybe y'all hd some experience with these

I am considering replacing all my chandelier bulbs with CFL dimmable but I'm not sure how it'll look.

I saw these on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Litetroni...item2ec361894f

Anybody have any experience with these? Is it the typical BS CFL dimming?

dan henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

CFL flame tip bulbs?

No reason they should not work out for you if you are comfortable with their base color temperature and color rendering index. Prices seems great if bids close around what is current! They are $11 each at ebulbs. The spec says the bulbs are about 2800K and the same temperature as an indandescent but most incandescents have CRIs of 100 or just a bit less which is excellent ( I could not find the CRI for the bulbs you are bidding on). This means that in addition to color at their primary temperature they give off a full light color spectrum that makes apples look like apples, and people look like they have natural skin tones. If a bulb only gives off the color range of its temperature, things can look very eery.

With dimmables, you have to let them warm up at full power before dimming or they can look different from bulb to bulb. CFLs should not flicker once the gas in them is heated.

Since you are making a jump. Have you looked into your LED options? At retail it looks like the difference between CFLs is $4 or so? Here are specs for a dimmable Phillips LED candelabra bulb with 2700K temp and a published CRI of 92 (out of 0-100) which is good. $15 bucks. I am sure you can do better if you plow the internet a bit. Perhaps there are ebay lots for bid of these too? Phillips is certainly not to only brand worth looking at. Your local electrical or lighting supply company may be able to deliver you nice pricing.

http://1000bulbs.com/product/88139/L...FelFMgodXDUA6g

Last edited by user1007; 11-14-2012 at 10:31 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #3

CFL flame tip bulbs?

holy crap that was a fantastic reply.
dan henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
JOATMON

CFL flame tip bulbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan henderson View Post
I tried this thread in the "Electrical" frum and didn't get much feedback. Maybe y'all hd some experience with these

I am considering replacing all my chandelier bulbs with CFL dimmable but I'm not sure how it'll look.

I saw these on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Litetroni...item2ec361894f

Anybody have any experience with these? Is it the typical BS CFL dimming?
What.....you didn't like my response?

CFL flame tip bulbs?

Quote:
Welcome Dan.....hoepfully you will stick around and it helps to put your location in your profile.

First off, I would never buy any bulbs off fleebay....

My local Costco was selling the same bulb for about the same price....

Yes, they do make dimmable CFL's in that style.....I would suggest that your browse Amazon or Lamps Plus web sites for more options.....or just go down to your local HD or Lowes.

I have a few of those in my house...but I don't dim them.

If your going to do dimming...make sure you have the right dimmer....a standard flavor dimmer for incandescents will not work for CFL's. Go to the Lutron web site for exact technical details.

Unless cost is a big issue, you might want to look into LED bulbs. That size is much more affordable...and LED's are better suited to dimming than CFL's.

Lastly....consider color....if this is for a chandiler...I would suggest not useing warm white (2700K). I would go with a 4000K or so color...that will look much better with a bunch of crystal around it.
So now the bid is up to $18....by the time you add in shipping....over $1/bulb....but a quick check via google does not show any real flags with Litetronics....and the other hits show it as being dimmable.....

As I mentioned in my '1st response', make sure you have the right dimmer.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote