Cement Board Wall Covering - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cement Board Wall Covering

I'm am considering covering a large wall in my house with cement board. I was thinking of cutting the boards square (3'X3'?) with a half inch stand off from the wall and 1/4" spacing all around, fastened with exposed stainless steel screws.

Has anyone done this, or seen it before? Not coming up with much info, or even pictures on Google.

I know they make decorative panels for this purpose, however I'd like to use the regular stuff right from Lowe's/HD.

Advertisement

dcase84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 632

And your not likly to find any pictures of anyone doing it.
Not even sure why anyone would want that look.
There's going to be rough looking edges on the 2 ends.
They come 5' long so it's going to be expenceive and wasteful.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
Jack of all Trades

Rewards Points: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
And your not likly to find any pictures of anyone doing it.
Not even sure why anyone would want that look.
There's going to be rough looking edges on the 2 ends.
They come 5' long so it's going to be expenceive and wasteful.
Sounds like he's going for an industrial look or utilitarian look. I'm assuming you already have a wall up and this is going over? I think it'd look cool but it's all dependent on what kind of look your going for. Clearly this isn't going to help you sell a house but if that's not your intention, you can afford it and most importantly you like it then I say go for it. Buy one piece for $10 and see what it looks like. If you don't like it youre only out $10 and a little time.

Good luck. Post pics if you go through with it.
lifestooshort81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #4

I am going for a loft/industrial look. Yes, all walls are existing. I just purchased this house a few months ago and nearly every piece of drywall needs some attention. Every single wall has the ugly sand grit texture & small fixture holes. The rest of the house will be receiving a level 5 finish on the drywall so there won't be much of a cost difference.

I can just go with the 3'x5' dimensions to reduce waste and I think if I trim the two ends with a good diamond blade that should clean them up. Almost think that these panels could take a couple coats of wax too?

I've attached a picture of a wall that is supposedly 3'x5' Wonderboard glued directly to the wall. Kind of torn between the offset pattern and essentially what would be a grid.

I don't think it will help me sell the house when I eventually do, but I hope it won't be a deterrent either.
Attached Thumbnails
Cement Board Wall Covering-loft_kitchen-rm__large.jpg  
Old 09-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 632

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I think it looks like a pore concrete basement wall.
Bet if you showed that picture to a realitor and asked if it would take away from the resale value you would get an interesting ansewer.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #6

I think if I stay consistent with industrial/loft look though the entire house it shouldn't hurt me much, but will likely reduce the pool of potential buyers. Besides, my lower level already contains a 400 sq ft bar area so I think it was built for the bachelor in mind.

Either way I fired off an email to my realtor to get her input on it.

At this point I'm going to plan on proceeding with it, just have to decide on a product, and method of installation.

Option #1. Glue directly to the wall with very small seams. Caulk or fill seams with chinking used in log homes. Stagger the panels.

Option #2. Offset sheets from wall with larger seams and exposed fasteners. Sheets are not staggered and form a grid.

I've attached an image of each. I may or may not go with this product, might end up being too costly for an interior application. Waiting on some samples from the company.

Any more feedback?
Attached Thumbnails
Cement Board Wall Covering-cb-flush.jpg   Cement Board Wall Covering-cb-grid.jpg  
Old 09-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

When we first bought our current house I was looking for ideas to update our bathroom. I was asking advice from my sister and she said something that has stuck with me.
She said "Respect the house".

The pictures you posted look great, in a great part because the materials are installed in high ceiling-ed, loft looking, well lit areas. If you put this in a small home with standard 8' ceilings, I'm with Joe. Odds are good it will end up looking like an unfinished basement.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #8

I totally agree with that statement. The house I purchased was a foreclosure that received many updates prior to the previous owners being foreclosed. Unfortunately those updates are kind of all over the place in terms of style. I have everything from modern to rustic. The house doesn't really have a "feel", so I essentially have a blank canvas.

The two walls receiving this treatment would be in a split foyer with cathedral ceilings. At the highest point I would estimate around 25' of wall height and roughly 15' at the lowest.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

how about some large format tile that are the color of concrete

Advertisement

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote