Ceiling Plank Direction - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2011, 05:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Ceiling Plank Direction

Getting close to finishing a basement remodel. It's pretty small, ~400 sq/ft floor area. I plan to install Armstrong Woodhaven Ceiling Planks and I'm not sure which way I want to orient them and was hoping to get some advice.

The room is basically square, but divided in half at the ceiling by a support beam that I boxed in w/drywall. So visually, as you enter the room, you see two distinct rectangle sections on the ceiling.

For best visual aesthetics, and to make the room look as large as possible, do you think I should I install the planks long-ways, parallel w/the beam (227"); or perpendicular to the beam (91" on one side, 62" on the other)?

Advertisement

golddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
renovation contractor

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling Plank Direction

I would go parallel to the beam, across the joists to avoid strapping the ceiling

Advertisement

B.D.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Ceiling Plank Direction

Thanks BDR. Regardless of orientation, I have to put up furring strips on the bottom of the joists to give me just enough space to clear some pipes I can't move.

If the planks end up parallel to the beam/long-wise I'll put the furring strips along the 16" OC joists. Perpendicular to the joists for the short option. So either way I got work to do in that regard and it's back to what'll look better.
golddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:20 AM   #4
renovation contractor

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling Plank Direction

good luck
B.D.R. is offline   Reply With Quote