Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Ceiling fan or light in living room?

We need to replace our dated brass ceiling fan and light combo in our living room. The room has an 8' ceiling. When we bought the house we added central air so the fan inst really necessary.

Would it be better to remove the fan and just install a light or would we miss the fan?

I know that is really a subjective question, but there is also a probability that we move in the next couple of years. Is a fan something that comes into play for resale?

Total Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,050

More important to have a fan, it helps to move the conditioned air.
Think about it, how many times have you turned that light on.
I just hate a central over head light in a room.
It's useless to read or watch TV by.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Total Tool (07-15-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #3

We rarely use either the overhead light or the fan really... There are lamps that we use at night when we relax in the living room.

Basically my wife thinks just a light might make the room look bigger and I agree, but we both want what would look best and be best for resale. The last time I remember using the fan was when I shampooed the carpet.

I appreciate the thoughts either way. This is kinda a weird question.
Total Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

I think it is a personal choice, but I really hate the ceiling fans.

I would remove it and add a nice light fixture, maybe something blingy...lol
Old 07-19-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I think ceiling fans can add a lot to creature comfort and they can reduce the load on HVAC systems if you switch the blade direction with the seasons.

Unfortunately they are almost always plunked in the middle of the room and most lower end box store ones are clunky looking things that match absolutely no decor known to humankind. If I had to pick a single example of what will happen when box stores are all that is left because not enough of us shopped in specialty stores or supported stores with real buyers? What the hideous choices box stores will make for us will be like? Shop for ceiling fans!

I guess I would keep the fan idea but bite the bullet and get a nice looking unit from a real lighting store or online.

Last edited by user1007; 07-19-2012 at 07:04 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #6

How large is your living room? We have an 8' ceiling in a small living room and frankly I detest our ceiling fan, it's rarely used, blows right in your eyes if your furniture is right below it (our's is). We bought a nice one, and I still think it's ugly. We found the most flush mount we could, but gave up in style to do so, it still hangs down into the room too far, making the space look even smaller. I'll be ripping our's out the first chance I get. Only good things about it was bought one the same color as the ceiling (white) and runs on a remote. It was better than the brown one that was there when we bought the house since it blended in a little bit.

Last edited by Pianolady; 07-19-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Pianolady is offline   Reply With Quote