Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2007, 11:39 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Bookcases in a Great Room

My husband and I just moved to a new city and decided to rent a townhouse while looking for a house to buy when were know more about the area. The townhouse is 3 yrs old and very lovely: hardwood floors, moldings everywhere. granite counter tops beautiful contemporary chandelier in the dining area. We have a large wall unit that came from the last house we lived in and we basically had to make the furniture work. Since this is a rental we didn't want to buy all new furniture when we don't plan to stay long. Anyway, we decided to get a tall bookshelf and place against a wall opposite to the wall unit in a different part of the great room. A friend told me it's and eyesore. We have nice coffee table style books on the bookshelf , along with beautiful vases and hand turned wood bowls. I think it's nice and adds interest to the room. What is considered appropriate for using bookshelves in a great room. Do the books have to match and have coordinating leather binding? That seems pretentious to me, especially if haven't actually read the books. Any thoughts anyone?

divadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:28 PM   #2

divadoc,
What a rude friend! Have they never heard of accounting for taste? Plus, you, and your stuff, have to live there. If it doesn't bother you and your house isn't on the market who cares.
Concordseeker

Concordseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:10 PM   #3

You friend probably hasn't read a book since high school. Get better friends, not matchng leather books.
Tscarborough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:34 PM   #4

Thank you for your thoughts. I usually have good taste and know when something works and when it's simply ugly. My gut instinct was that the bookshelf, with all its interesting topicsrepresented, would be more entertaining to guests than a shelf full of "the classics" that are bought online through a book club. If I had the money, I would fill the booshelf with antique books. I already have a few and the oldest is from the seventeen-hundreds; far more interesting than a coordinating, but dry collection.
divadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:00 PM   #5

I am lucky enough to have a library, and it is usually somewhat unkempt (I know where every single book is), but full of books, doo-dads, and doo-hickeys, and toys on the lower levels for visiting kids. There is not a book in it I haven't read, and if someone suggested that I go for matching books to make it stylish, I would laugh them out of my house, never to be invited back.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:06 PM   #6

And if you like books, here is a cool thing:

http://www.librarything.com

I have almost half of the books in the house entered, but ran out of steam when I finished the library itself:

http://www.librarything.com/tagcloud...w=tscarborough
Old 01-15-2008, 11:35 AM   #7

Dragging up an old thread here.

Tscarborough, did you build the shelves or are those bought? I'd like to do something on a smaller scale in my basement remodel.
perpetual98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:02 PM   #8

The previous owner built them. I am a masonry guy, and all I can do with wood is make little peices out of big pieces.