Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Best way to blend support beam (design Q)

Been lurking for awhile here I thought good time for a post. Preparing to finish
plans for a Family room (lower level) that after 24 years needs to be refreshed. The room has 2 distinct spaces, where the back half will be setup for home theater, the front half, will be hearth, small bar, etc. This room will be for me as the Family is all grown up now.

My question, is how to tie it all together correctly. I will be removing the ceiling/lights for upgrade. The walls will be stripped to studs to add improved insulation and soundproofing. Finish walls will be new sheet rock/paint. I do not want to spend $3000-$3500 to remove the infamous lolly column, or this would be easy. So, I need to accept it is still part of the room and needs to be hidden.

Please see the pics. The box out on the knee wall is a dummy to help to balance the beam effect. It can be eliminated in that location. The middle post is a lolly column, and the right side near door is also a lolly column.

So, options to consider:

Remove the dummy on the knee wall to clean that side up. The shelves will also be eliminated when put back together.
Remove all 4 decorative braces.

Should I remove the 1x6 on the current beam and create a new sheet rock beam that can be painted white?

Should I make the right side also sheet rock to create a jut out from that side of wall and paint same as wall color?

Leave all of the wood after reinstall for walls and try an offset color instead of stain?

Long post, but, do want to confuse folks. Just not sure what is better way to pull this off. Thanks for any comments you can offer. Pics to help explain what I am trying to figure out. I have no problems putting it together, just, sometimes lacking the "full color effect" on how the finish should look.
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to blend support beam (design Q)-leftbeam.jpg   Best way to blend support beam (design Q)-centerbeam.jpg   Best way to blend support beam (design Q)-rightlolly.jpg  

Last edited by pesos; 03-13-2012 at 06:50 PM.
pesos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 534

So, you're going to remove all that lovely wood to sheetrock
and paint? I know you said you want to soundproof, but is it
necessary?
Have you considered leaving everything (the wood I mean)
and 'white washing' paint over all the wood? We did this in our family
room to lighten and refresh the room, and I am happy with the results.
We used watered down beige paint...it allows some of the grain from
the wood to show through. I am only suggesting this cause I love wood
and your room and knee wall is so beautiful.

Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #3

Thanks for the comment. It looks good in the pics, but, in reality, it feels very dark on cloudy days. I do have 3 full size double hung windows in the space, but, not enough natural light. Sunny days, not a problem. Interesting, that a real estate friend said I should brighten it up, to make the space more friendly. That started me down this path, as I doing some upgrades in the room anyway. I know changing the ceiling to all white (runners and new panels) as well as adding upgraded pot lights will help, but, that only works when they are on obviously.

I hate to pull it all down, and I guess I could let "noise" filter upstairs with less soundproofing. Could you share a sample pic on how your result came out? Trying to visualize how it might look.

Plan B, I am thinking about, leave the wood on the 3 exterior knee walls, freshen the beam with new poly and only change to sheet rock, skim plaster on the top half of walls (painted color) to make the room brighter and feel a little more spacious? I guess this seems like a minor issue because the room is in good shape, but, after 24 years, feels tired.

Any comments folks are appreciated.

Last edited by pesos; 03-14-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #4

I had the same feeling, tired and old and outdated.
We did our room in wood in the early 70's, (72' I believe)
When I suggested to the head knot around here that we
take it down, his response was, " this is something you can
do with your next husband!"
Anyhow, we settled on 'whitewashing' the walls. The dark beams
on the ceoling we painted to match the ceiling, but sorry we
didn't whitewash them as well...we have an open floor plan
the family room is open to the dining room, so blending
the beige washed walls to the dining room beige walls was
uplifting.

This is the other side og the room, with the windows.

across from the windows...

close-up, see how the knots and grain shine through, which I love. It's the best of
both worlds...if you're interested in trying it, I share with you our experience.
We did this about 10 years ago, and just last winter freshened it up with just a
whipe down with a rag and a little watered down paint.

Last edited by Two Knots; 03-14-2012 at 01:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Two Knots For This Useful Post:
pesos (03-15-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Knots View Post
I had the same feeling, tired and old and outdated. We did our room in wood in the early 70's, (72' I believe)
When I suggested to the head knot around here that we
take it down, his response was, " this is something you can
do with your next husband!"
Anyhow, we settled on 'whitewashing' the walls. The dark beams
on the ceiling we painted to match the ceiling, but sorry we
didn't whitewash them as well...we have an open floor plan
the family room is open to the dining room, so blending
the beige washed walls to the dining room beige walls was
uplifting.
Love that response on the walls not coming down. Very nice job and effect. You do have a good advantage with the windows/doors providing significant natural light to
complement the room. The is one of the missing elements for my space
downstairs. I like the look you achieved and it makes the wood more subtle, but, still providing its natural ambiance.

Need to put this on the table as an option to consider. I only want to do this once and try to get it right (or for the last time in this case) as I have other upgrades to 2 bathrooms still to be done. Thanks for your post/pics. Very helpful.

Anyone have other ideas for a similar type space with limited natural light?

Btw, due to a oversized deck on the exterior rear wall, I cannot add more windows to the room in that location, which would have helped of course.

Last edited by pesos; 03-15-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #6

Pesos, paint it...you would need to sand it a little, prime it, and then paint it a light color, with satin paint -- I think is the one that's more durable and washable???

If you like this idea, post your painting questions in the 'painting
section' of this forum.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #7

I would of went with more of a cottage theme painting it solid almost white, satin or semi gloss because it reflects light and doesn't absorb the light as wood. The shabby chic is not bright enough for me and still feels tired. The columns can be faced with new boards with some dimension, trimming them out. The room has so much potential, love the possibilities. I would also add some different textures in your decorating. Almost white, tan or sand colors mixed with your brown furnishings and hints of subtle lighter colors for decorating!

jojoroberts is offline   Reply With Quote