Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Battle of Chocolate and Cream

I am in debate about what to do with my kitchen cabinets and counter. I know without a doubt that cream and chocolate are the colors that I will use, but I am not sure which to put where. We are painting the old cabinets and refinishing the laminate countertop. I value your opinion because I am just not sure:

Chocolate colored cabinets with cream countertops or cream colored cabinets with chocolate countertops? If there is a reason for choosing one way or another, let me know.

Thanks

MEMama3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMama3 View Post
I am in debate about what to do with my kitchen cabinets and counter. I know without a doubt that cream and chocolate are the colors that I will use, but I am not sure which to put where. We are painting the old cabinets and refinishing the laminate countertop. I value your opinion because I am just not sure:

Chocolate colored cabinets with cream countertops or cream colored cabinets with chocolate countertops? If there is a reason for choosing one way or another, let me know.

Thanks
All a matter of opinion I would imagine....

JP in Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'd do darker countertops, cream colored ones will 'look' dirty faster.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

I think it depends on lighting.

I lived in a nice home with a huge kitchen that was open on 3 sides - but the kitchen had horrid lighting. The dark walnut cabinets and dark appliances made the kitchen feel like a dungeon and was a bummer to just be in.

IF you have adequate lighting all around THEN you can get away with darker cabinets.

Aside that, I think it depends on what flooring and wall color you have/will go with. If you have a light floor then I think a contrasting-color would be best next to it (so the cabinets would be light - counter dark - walls light).

Or, opposite, if you have dark floors then the cabinets might look best if they were light and the counter was dark. . . walls either way.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

i think it depends on what type of look you're going for. if you want a more dramatic look, then i would say paint the cabinets chocolate. but if you want a softer feel, then paint them cream. either way, i think it will look stunning!
MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
I'd do darker countertops, cream colored ones will 'look' dirty faster.
as one with dark counters - they show every spec of dust or food on them. they don't look dirty per se, just that everything shows up.

cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote