Bathroom Radiator Rusting? - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom Radiator Rusting?

The radiator in the bathroom has started to rust. I think that's the right word. The bathroom radiator is white in colour but there are spots of copper colour on the radiator. Is there anything I can use to remove these ugly marks?

Thank you very much.

Advertisement

diynoob2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,274

I would think that a spray primer first---then a good quality spray enamel would give you a good finish.

Protect the surrounding ares well.---Mike---

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I would think that a spray primer first---then a good quality spray enamel would give you a good finish.

Protect the surrounding ares well.---Mike---
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply. What do you think of these two products?

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs...3EPRIMER+SPRAY

and

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs...3ESPRAY+ENAMEL

Do they look right?

Also, how do I use these products exactly? Would you have any idea please? After spraying the primer paint, am I meant to wipe away the rust marks? Do does the primer cover it up?

Thank you again.

Btw, just want to add that the radiator is drilled against the wall and I think it does work, it's just we never use that radiator. I did a little research and they said use steel wool? Would rubbing that against the radiator get rid of it by any chance?

Last edited by diynoob2011; 08-13-2011 at 03:34 PM.
diynoob2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

What the spray primer will do for you is cover the rust. Once you start getting rust the spots usually continue to get bigger. Is is caused by the coating on the surface failing and the moisture in the air. By priming you are sealing in the rust. Then you put on a finish coat of paint. When Mike said to protect the area, using a spray can will cause a mist that will go everywhere!!!!!!!!!! Make a little room, walls, ceilings, and floors around the radiatior using plastic, cardboard or something to protect the surrounding surfaces. If that sounds like to much work you could purchase brush on primer and brush on finish paint, but you will not get as smooth a finish as you would with the spray products (as long as you follow directions and not put to much on at one time so as to cause runs).

Bottom line, there is no way to get rid of the rust without painting. No cleaning product, steel wool or anything else will stop the problem without painting, sorry .
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m1951mm For This Useful Post:
diynoob2011 (08-14-2011)
Old 08-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,274

Those are the paints I would have suggested --I didn't know they were available in the UK.

m1951mm gave you good advice----clean the radiator the best you can before painting and make sure it's completely dry--over night ----Mike----
diynoob2011 (08-14-2011)
Old 08-14-2011, 07:09 PM   #6

Rust-oleum paints work very well. Remove the rust with sandpaper or steel wool before applying paint. If you're concerned about spray paint "over spray," and ventilation,
use brush on.

DecorMadeSimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

like DecorMadeSimple said, remove the rust with whatever method you prefer. prime it with rustoleum for rusty metal primer. then paint with rustoleum paint.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #8
NACE Coating Inspector

Rewards Points: 500

sounds like pin point rusting from your discription. probably over the years as the coating has worn naturaly and been scrubbed from cleaning, it has been thinned out enough to allow the surface profile of the metal to be exposed through the coating. removing the rust spots to bare metal would be your best option. i think that i would choose sand paper over the steel wool. steel wool made from ferrous metals could make your job turn out worse by imbedding small particles of metal into the coating and creating a metallic pathway. spot prime your bare metal spots with a zinc coating such as cold galv and top coat with an epoxy paint.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mustangmike3789 For This Useful Post:
m1951mm (08-15-2011)
Old 08-15-2011, 02:52 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

Wire brush, then steel wool, then prime & paint. Since it is in the bathroom, and it is a humid location, you can end up with surface rust on rad's.

Advertisement

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote