Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom lighting

Hello, I'm remodeling my bathroom and need some help/advice on lighting. It's not a terribly large bathroom (see sketch attached, it's about 5' x 10'). It has a sloped roof, with the low part at about 9 feet over the entrance and vanity, and the high part at about 13 feet over the shower. I installed a skylight in the center of the room (which takes away from where I can mount recessed lights). There will be lights/sconces on either side of, or above the mirror for the vanity (haven't decided on that yet...).

What I'm wondering is how many recessed light fixtures should I install, and where? My thinking right now is to put one at the centerline of the room between the door and the skylight (to provide extra lighting when using the sink) and then one or two over the shower. I'm guessing that I might not need the one over the sink area...

Any thoughts/experience would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom lighting-bathroom-sketch.jpg  

stencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
DIY staff

Bathroom lighting

One or two over the shower----and the sconce light will give you good lighting---

Possibly one over the toilet-

Old 08-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #3

Bathroom lighting

One should be at the centerline of the room and one should be over the shower.
alexjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Bathroom lighting

I need to step in and ask something. What are you really trying to light? I hope you do not need to many extra lumens to remind you which body parts you need to dry off?

Are you trying to provide overall illumination for the bath or are you trying to provide some task lighting.

There are some rather nice LED track light sort of things out there now that would not force this decision like in ceiling can lights would. They come in both line and low voltage and in what basic color temp you want and with super nice color rendering indexes between 95-100 CRI. You might have to move a track fixture before you change a bulb in your lifetime.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
lamonique (03-09-2014)
Old 09-19-2013, 05:38 AM   #5

Bathroom lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjoe View Post
One should be at the centerline of the room and one should be over the shower.
Yes One light should be at the center line of the bathroom.
but one light should not be over the shower because only one light is sufficient for the bathroom.
homestoreonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #6

Bathroom lighting

I agree, one light should be positioned at the center line of the room at the entry end of the bathroom.
Is there an exhaust fan located somewhere in the shower end the room?
One light over the shower should be sufficient in most cases although a 13' ceiling may benefit from 2.
usbp.josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
43 years in construction

Bathroom lighting

Will a woman be using this sink and mirror? If so, you will need at least one light fixture lower on the wall (78" to 84" above the floor) and centered on the sink or mirror. One fixture at 13' isn't going to cut it for application of makeup.

In regards to the general room lighting at 13' high, I recommend two lights, one at 1/4 points from each end wall. The science behind this is that light decreases inversely with the square of the distance from the source. A light at 13' above the floor illuminating a face at 5' above the floor travels 8' distance. A light 8' above the floor illuminating a face 5' above the floor travels 3' distance. The math works out that a light 8' from an object illuminates 85% less than the same light only 3' from the object. The real world result is that 13' high ceilings put the hurt on light levels. To increase the illumination level at the working plane (face height) the options are a) lower the fixtures, b) increase the number of fixtures, or c) increase the lumen output of the fixtures. The least expensive solution is "a". A benefit of multiple light fixtures is that multiple sources generally provide better illumination and ambiance.

Last edited by Arkitexas; 12-05-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Arkitexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:56 AM   #8

Bathroom lighting

Sorry, but when I'm showering, I'M in the middle of the tub, the light overhead would do little. 2 recessed cans with drop down globes rated for wet locations is what I use and I'd never use anything less. Add 2 sconces on either side of the mirror as low and as close to the face as possible and you got it goin' on!
IslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:10 AM   #9

Bathroom lighting

Definitely 1 or 2 over the shower. Remember, you'll need special wet area trim for the shower location. The skylight I would think will provide lots of ambient light---unless it's covered with snow. Is there an exhaust fan on the ceiling? I might keep the fixture over the vanity and add one to illuminate the center area of the room.
DIYRemodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:24 AM   #10

Bathroom lighting

Just thought of something else. If you have to use cans designed to come in direct contact with insulation along with the "wet area" trim, you may be limited in terms of the wattage of bulb you can use. You'll probably have to use bulbs that crank out less (lower amount) of heat. In my shower situation, I am limited to a 40-watt A-lamp.
DIYRemodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:09 AM   #11

Bathroom lighting

Our bathroom is a similar design and I struggled with what to do about the lighting. I was able to find the advice and the modern lighting fixtures I needed at http://www.lighting55.com/shop-by-room/bathroom. Now I really love the bathroom, even though it is still a small bathroom.
Lizzy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #12

Bathroom lighting

i think one is enough
mayagreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:06 AM   #13

Bathroom lighting

I agree, I think one in the center will be enough. The atmosphere in the bathroom must be relaxing, it is better not to install to much lights.
Edward.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:20 PM   #14

Bathroom lighting

True. One is good.
Mike_Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:13 AM   #15

Bathroom lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
One or two over the shower----and the sconce light will give you good lighting---

Possibly one over the toilet-
One over the shower and 2 over the toilet. One for the maid to clean and 1 for old men.

Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote