Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #1

Share |

Basement Window Light Boxes

I am renovating my 1960's era basement. The knotty pine will be cleaned and BIN shelac primed. The 9"x9" green asbestos tiles are gone though I still have to get rid of the black asbestos "glue".

What I need is a "window treatment" for those awful metal basement windows high up in the walls. I was thinking of light boxes of some kind. They would cover the windows and come down the walls to the height of normal windows. I would put a light source behind them.

Any experience? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I have photos on my desktop but I don't seem to be able to add them. Help please.

Last edited by crashdavid; 01-20-2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Need to ask for picture posting help.
crashdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:36 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Basement Window Light Boxes

Not sure it is the easiest way to post pics but you need to put them somewhere where they can be tapped. I use my free Photobucket account.

I am thinking some sort of oversized "sconce" type things might work. I would use daylight full spectrum flourescent tubes behind some nice, simple framed translucent panels. Color temp should be 6500 with a color rendering index of 95 or higher. This would match the light coming in the windows. Skylights in my California home were equipped this way so that when the sun went down, you could flip the lights on and the light color and rendering remained the same. It was a pleasant transition.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
crashdavid (02-01-2012)