Basement Wall Treatment - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 418

basement wall treatment

I am in process of finishing out a basement in a c1915 Craftsman Bungalow. I'm currently debating the best way to finish the walls, as the ceilings are fairly low at about 7' tall. Originally, I was thinking of doing beadboard and going up about 40-42" and painting it white, then wall paper above that.

The main floor bathroom is currently the only room in the house with beadboard, so I figured it would help tie the basement in, but I'm also leaning towards beadboard in the basement bathroom that I'm adding. Now I'm afraid that would be too much......thoughts???

I've been reading online about how to make the ceiling not appear so low and they tend to say vertical stripes helps, but to stay away from horizontal stripes. I would be using actual tongue and groove boards, not plywood sheets, so the grooves are much deeper and thus the vertical stripes would be more defined, but I worry that the "chair rail" height trim piece, being a horizontal line, will be more pronounced and thus cause the ceiling to appear low. Would it matter if I used a lightly colored, thick striped wall paper above it? Or would I be better off just going wall paper floor to ceiling?

Advertisement

Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

basement wall treatment

Use stud framing and drywall. Its the only way to make it right.

You can see pictures of finished basements at:

http://www.daytonbathandbasement.com

Best wishes.

Advertisement

OhioHomeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 418

basement wall treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioHomeDoctor View Post
Use stud framing and drywall. Its the only way to make it right.

You can see pictures of finished basements at:

http://www.daytonbathandbasement.com

Best wishes.
I'll check out that website tomorrow, but I've already stud framed and drywalled it. Getting ready to install some built in cabinets then hang drywall on ceiling.
Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

basement wall treatment

It doesn't matter if you will use the light color thick striped wallpaper as long as it conforms to the ambiance of your basement. basically, it does not affect if it is light because it will look more adorable than the usual basement style.
Kaylee is offline   Reply With Quote