Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2008, 03:46 AM   #1

Share |

Attractive yet functional lamps for a house with small children?

We have two small children who love to play with lamps. While I intend to do a better job teaching them that lamps are not toys, such young children often accidentally bump lamps.

Anyone recommend some floor lamps, table lamps and a bed side lamp (the latter to go in my three year old's room)? We want something that looks nice but is functional and won't break if tipped over once or twice.

Thank you!

ChrisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
Born a decorator

Hanging or track lighting may be more appropriate where little children are concerned. Scones may work just as well as bedside table lamps. Even though you may teach them not to touch lamps, it would provide more piece of mind to look at other options.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-01-2008 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Advertising Links Not Allowed: Removed
PassionateDIY'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:08 AM   #3

These pendant lights from Cb2 are awesome! I have a pair flanking my tv above some shelves in my living room.... you hardly even notice the clear cords.

http://www.cb2.com/family.aspx?c=120&f=3785&viewall=1

Would be a good option since you have kids... of course, it would be fun to swing on them...
diy mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:23 AM   #4

Would be a good option since you have kids... of course, it would be fun to swing on them...[/quote]

for you or the kids?!

I have 2 boys, when they were young, VERY rambuctious boys and never had a problem with lamps They had small decorative <train, balloons, elmo etc.> lamps on top of their dressers that only I could reach with the cord behind the dresser, and one on the side of their beds, a cheapie 12 dollar wooden lamp with whatever lampshade, plain or decorative you/they choose. They can't fall far from the end table and plug it in where they can't reach, by having the end table right up against the wall. I would stay CLEAR of floor lamps, I mean, common sense......they'll try to climb it, pull it down, maybe even pole dance one day sorry, had to say it!
DepotDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:03 PM   #5
Paint Contractor

I have tried everything to child proof and protect my house yet no matter what I do if it isn't in the air away from possible reach my little one just seems to get to it. I will wait until she matures before I go spending money because what I think she cannot break she will!
movado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:35 AM   #6

I think hanging lights is a great idea. Nice suggestion.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 09-25-2008 at 05:55 AM. Reason: SITE RULES VIOLATION: Advertising Links Removed From Signature
jmmv08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:09 PM   #7

The hanging lights or track lights sounds like good suggestions. There are even hanging lights that are retractable to suit your lighting needs.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 09-29-2008 at 07:00 AM. Reason: SITE RULES VIOLATION: Advertising Links Removed From Signature
home decorations is offline   Reply With Quote