Architect Or ?? - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lenaitch

Old 12-24-2016, 03:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Architect or ??

I retired this year and am moving into my rental house. It was built in 1940 and is a darling little house. The kitchen is very small, few cabinets, and thinking about taking out the wall between the dining room and kitchen. If doing structural changes, that would need an architect, correct? Should I find an architect or simply a remodeling company that would do the plans too?

Advertisement

GrammyPammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:45 PM   #2
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,720

Re: Architect or ??

If you know or can be directed to a general contractor you can trust, they should be able to tell you whether the wall is load bearing. If it's not, then the contractor should be able to handle your intended reno. If it is, they still should be able to do it with the help of a structural engineer (many good GCs have a working relationship with an engineer). Your reno does not call for an architect. A design consultant maybe, depending on the extent of renovation and vision.

As always, permits are a must. The contractor will handle those too.
kwikfishron likes this.

Advertisement

lenaitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6

Thanks. It's basically floating between the kitchen, dining room, and a hallway. It's the wall where the fridge goes and is an awkward space. I think I need design help or I could make it even more strange.
GrammyPammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2016, 10:00 PM   #4
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,720

Most good contractors can offer design suggestions based on their experiences of what works and what doesn't. Obviously the final decisions are yours but they can point you to websites, businesses and suppliers.
lenaitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:21 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 16

You should take a look in the ceiling space above the wall and determine if it is in fact load bearing. The previous poster is correct saying that you will need a structural engineer if it is load bearing. The last thing you want to do is knock it down and have your roof come down!
I'd suggest trying the free version of a 3D modelling program called "Sketchup" and attempt to make a 3D model of the room(s) in question. It can and will give you a really good idea of what it will look like when completed.
rustylamante is offline   Reply With Quote