Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Any advice on college party room

My pledge class is looking to make some improvements to our fraternity's chapter room (dimensions and possibly pictures coming shortly). This room functions as a place to have meetings, but also to throw parties. Our budget is probably going to be around $1800-$2200. We are all amateurs, having some construction experience, but not much.
The room has a bunch of home built wooden seating, mainly being booths.

Color
Right now the room is a very bright color of purple (kind of a royal purple, reminds me of a kindergarten hallway). Our school color is purple, but this isn't cutting it so we are thinking either paint it a much deeper, darker purple or go with black.

Floor
Currently, we have a white tile floor, that looks old and stained. There are random stains/marks and frankly it looks gross. Very open to ideas on this. My only thoughts at the moment would be to: 1.)put some sort of roll out floor in (durable material, preferably dark) or 2.)somehow turn it into something similar to a garage floor, with the flakes and everything. This would be perfect because it is the right color, durable, easy to clean, and looks really nice when done correctly, my only issue is if we could do that with the tile in or if we would have to pull it out.

Sound System
Planning on spending $500-$750 for a loud speaker system with nice bass.

Bar
The bar is a crucial part, we plan on following the method of the guy in this video (), but making it into an "L" for extra space and decking it out with more design.
A couple of similar shelves up behind it: http://www.pbfingers.com/wp-content/...or-bottles.jpg

Lighting
Not doing too much with the lights, they are really bright, but they should be off during parties, maybe adding a dimmer. Maybe adding laser show lights or strobe lights and a fog machine.

The look we are going for is a darker party/dance room, but able to do drinking games as well. Most light coming from led or neon sources, and a good contrast of dark walls with light up signs, posters, etc.

PS.Probably no blacklights.

PartyRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,342

You are not going to do all of that on a budget of $18-2200. You may be able to do the sound system on a $1800-2200 budget, but not the whole project.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Live_Oak (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 01:22 AM   #3

Even with no labor fees? I know the bar will only be $100-$150. And I know the sound will be low because we already have the receiver and everything, we have speakers but not subs or amps. I feel like the paint won't be more than a few hundred, where would all the money go?
PartyRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,342

Really cannot tell you, because we do not answer pricing questions on here.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 688

Not sure about a black paint, but then I'm way past college age. Too keep the purple theme, what about a grayish purple? Go to a paint store for chip samples and tape them up on the wall.

It sounds like flooring will be an important issue. I don't have any ideas, but can you go to a Home Depot or Lowes and look around for ideas?
Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

Any flooring will be more than your budget unless you just do a cheap indoor outdoor carpet over the tile with no cushion underneath. That will last only a couple of seasons before its so gross it has to be removed.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live_Oak View Post
Any flooring will be more than your budget unless you just do a cheap indoor outdoor carpet over the tile with no cushion underneath. That will last only a couple of seasons before its so gross it has to be removed.
Having unfortunately seen my share of frat houses I imagine it would last only a couple of hours, but then again the house around it is probably vile already so I doubt anyone would notice the carpet.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
In a little over my head

Rewards Points: 510

First thing I'd do is rent a floor scrubber and see if you can save the floor. Tile, if it's ceramic, will be hard to beat and worth saving. If it's VCT, pull it up and glue down some new; it's cheap (about $1 a sg ft"?). Scrounging wood for the bar sounds like a good idea. But 2x4s are cheap. And pallet wood is kinda hard to work with. Either way, build the bar stout. It'll take a beating in a frat house. Spend your budget on the room. Leave the sound system for someone else. $500 won't get you much that will last much "party use". Check in at the AudioKarma site for "sound" advice.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,492

You would have a lot more success if you would invite some of us DIY types to come over during the party.....besides helping you fix the place up....we could 'show' you young kids how to really party....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (11-03-2013)
Old 02-20-2014, 05:41 AM   #10

Hey ,
If you are going to plan a party for college you can do many things like first of all you should have to decide a venue for that or doing this party at home then can decorate with college theme, plan the menu which most of the colleges like or prefer. For making it memorable prepare a video memoir of the party. And last the gifts, give small gifts to every person in the party.
surfboards123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

Surfboard they are not looking for part tips, I think they all have that covered....winking. What they wanted was a "ruin proof party room" and that my friend doesn't exists. Now I have to go watch Animal House again!
mrs fix it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:30 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,550

scrap all those plans.

get a nice stripper pole and some bright lights. & put them to use.

all other things will become irrelevant. except, of course, the beer.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:52 PM   #13
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,492

Well....seeing how the original thread was last semester....I'm willing to bet the part is over....and the new frat guys are trying to figure out what they are going to do this semester.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote