Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2007, 01:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

antiquing kitchen cabinets

Hi, I wonder if anyone who knows about paint and glazes can help me out. I have a soft beigy yellow latex semi gloss paint on my kitchen cabinets. i want to antique them with a brown latex paint mixed with a latex glaze. I want to use the procedure where the glaze is brushed on, then all excess is wiped off, leaving that antiqued aged look. But my question is, if I don't like them can this type paint and glaze be painted over again? if they don't turn out like I expect, can I just paint the cabinets a solid color and start over? I have seen some cabinets done this way that has a "dirty look" to them, like they need to be cleaned, so if that happens, I want to know if I can paint them a solid color again. I've seen this procedure done also using wood stain, but I'm not sure if the wood stain that was used is a latex based stain. I was under the impression that most latex paints and glazes can be painted over again, as long as it's water based.
Thanks for any help anyone has.

LACajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

yes you could start over by re-painting. The procedure will depend on what you want to cover.

Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:47 PM   #3

ok thanks Big Bob. I plan to cover my entire cabinets with the diluted paint and glaze mixture, so all of them will be done. We built our house about 2 years ago, and I painted the cabinets with the semi gloss paint for the purpose of antiquing them with this glaze mixture. So it's good to know they can be repainted if the look isn't what I want. Thanks.
LACajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
kkb

I am trying to do the same thing with my cabinets, but ended up with the dirty look you mentioned. Just wondering how yours turned out, what products you used and what technique you used. Thanks.
kkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #5
Edie

Rewards Points: 25

Take a look this: http://ratemyspace.hgtv.com/snc/View...8-d707eddfc59a

A member of the Rate My Space forum did the same thing to her cabinets and she posted a how-to, photo-by-photo diary.
Hope it helps you!
EdinDesign is offline   Reply With Quote