Angled Curtain Rods - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 12:27 AM   #1
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10

Angled Curtain Rods

I'm having trouble with finding a curtain rod that fits my living room window.

There are 5 windows as shown in the picture. My wish list includes a continuous sheer from one end to the other. It will have decorative curtains on each end and a valiance to top it off.

The problem is I may have to custom the rod but I'm not sure what it would fit exactly. Its not a bay window but its not really a 3 angled bay window.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Angled Curtain Rods-2008.11.20_before043.jpg  


mee4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
WindowTreatment Installer
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 86
Rewards Points: 75

I would treat it as a bow window. If you custom order you might have to make a template. A drapery installer has a special tool to bend a draw rod on site to conform to the curve of your windows.


bobtheblindguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:14 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000

I have used a blacksmith in the past to make a nice rod in this sort of situation and the approach was cheaper than drapery hardware. The material options were greater too.

Stretch a string line between the two end points of where the rod will go and measure the length. Measure along the string line to where a right angle from the center point of each window would intersect the string line. Also measure from that intersection point to the center of the window along the same right angle. This will establish the points needed for the radius of the arc you need to bend into the rod. Use an architect's scale or graph paper and french curve to scale it out if you want.

Obviously you will not be able to have a completely continuous unblocked rod as you will have to support it at intervals along the span.

By the way, could you click on your username and update at least basic geographic information so we know where you are?

Last edited by user1007; 03-08-2010 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Requested geographic location update
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 10
Rewards Points: 10

I saw this system at Ikea the other day, might work for your windows...

KVARTAL - Either type it into the 'search' option on the Ikea website or see if this link will work -

Best of luck!
aimeesrockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

big window

HI there
Penneys has connectors for curtain rods - if you do wish to treat it
as one window. they are adjustable and you can have a custom look
for very little $$
tall_blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 78
Rewards Points: 75

You could use conduit. bend and paint it.
UFoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:27 PM   #7
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,899
Rewards Points: 290

This thread reminds me of our first apartment which had bay windows at angles. We used 2-3 of those small extendable metal rods which have just enough bend in them so they could be bent and angled to follow the windows all the way across. But I imagine you are looking for something more classy than that.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

If I were you id forget about the doing it yourself and call someone, I had the same problem last year. check out Kayton Blinds Melbourne they sorted me out and it didnt cost too much either.
harry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10

You could maybe even use a wire cable curtain system if you are wanting to go modern.
krankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10

I would suggest purchasing the closet rod you can find and having it adjusted by a welder with heat treatment to fit the wall/windows perfectly.


AlyssaQB is offline   Reply With Quote

curtain , custom , rod , window

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tub leaking past shower curtain Outbacker Plumbing 8 12-10-2010 04:15 PM
Installing a suspended in a room that has an angled wall... markronz Remodeling 10 02-20-2010 09:03 AM
Need Help With Clawfoot Shower Curtain Rods. Pawn3d Plumbing 4 11-21-2009 08:04 AM
Help - hanging curtain rods in drywall ontheDB Drywall & Plaster 8 10-10-2009 09:54 AM
Looking for a 16g angled finish nailer... Goldglv Tools 15 07-26-2009 03:02 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1