Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #1

Share |

Advice sought on how best to fit this wall mural

Hi everyone

To my child's bedroom i would like to fit this wall mural:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Walltastic-A...7158089&sr=8-2

The mural is W. 3048mm x H. 2438mm. The wall in which I would like to put the mural on is W. 3400mm X H. 2520mm (from top of skirting to ceiling).

So, my wall is bigger than the mural, which creates a bit of a design problem, at least for me anyway! Obviously the thing to do is centralise the mural on the wall, but once centralised, from the sides of the mural to the corners of the wall will be a 17.6 cm gap on both sides, and from the top and bottom of the mural to the floor and cieling a 4.1 cm gap. This is not going to look great, my dilema is what to do with the gaps around the mural.

I have thought about running some wallpaper border right around the mural, but i'm not sure this will leave the right effect, i'm worried it may end up looking tacky. Another idea i have thought about is 'framing' the mural with wood of say 3 cm width, then painting in the gap around the mural frame.

I'm also unsure if i should cut the bottom of the mural so as the gap at the sides and the gap at the top/bottom are all equal at 17.6 cm, and not 17.6 cm at the sides and 4.1 cm at the top/bottom. By doing this i would loose quite a bit from the bottom of the mural. What do others think, will it look better or worse by doing this?

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could take the time to offer me some advice on what to do with the gaps left around the mural, and wether it is neccessary to trim the bottom of it or not to get it looking right on the wall. This is to be a surprise for my wife and our unborn child so i'm keen to make sure i dont make a dogs dinner of it.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Ali

Last edited by Ali101; 05-17-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Ali101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I would trim it and then run picture frame molding as you planned. Paint perimeter around it too.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #3

Another option you have is to center the mural on the wall and you should have about 6.5-7 inches on both sides. You could do a skinny floor to ceiling shelf on both sides and put some cute little beach/ocean decorations, etc
jds524 is offline   Reply With Quote