Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Accent Wall for Living Room Apartment

I just moved into my a new apartment. I signed a 14 month lease and they told us we were more then welcome to paint some walls if we wanted as long as we painted them back. The attached pictures show the living room in which we thought we could do an accent wall. We were thinking the wall behind the wall behind the TV. All the wall colors are the same, which is why we want to add some color. We are more traditional mixed with modern pieces. We like earth tones and neutrals but am willing to try anything. Any suggestions would help and be appreciated! Just looking for some ideas to be thrown out

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Accent Wall for Living Room Apartment-014.jpg  

Alexz7272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:38 AM   #2

If your lie earth colors, then I think it would be perfect for your living room. The color complements your furniture so it won't be sore to the eyes. Well, if you have difficulty and money is no problem then I guess seeking the help of a professional won't also be a problem.

hollymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Absolutely baffling and proof of the power of the worst of the TV home improvement shows I guess. I have worked with good interior designers (not decorators so I guess the difference) most of my adult life and not one has ever tried to sell me on the concept of an accent wall, just to keep up with the Jones and to have one of my own! Not every space needs one. Truth be know, there are better design options for most interiors. Yours does not need one, at least not behind the television where I think you plan to paint it?

You have an awful lot of busy color going on in the furniture on that wall now. Add to that colors displayed on the tv when it is on. If I were you, I would start looking for some nice art you can take with you to your next place for that wall. Buy real stuff from emerging artists and maybe you will end up with a pricelesss collection some day. Or buy nice production prints if you really believe originals are beyond you.

Or play with texture and cover it with some neutral fabric wrapped around foamcore, upholstering stuffing, etc. Or if you think you must splash color on it, buy a couple of programmable LED floodlights or a more elaborate LED color wall washer for the floor. You can change the colors splashed up the wall with infinite variations. Unplug it, pack it up, and move it with you. Here is a rather extreme and simplistic example of wall color light washing. You obviously do not need colors so saturated. You can achieve any combination of RGB too not just the primary transmitted colors shown here.

I also think some of the electrostatic wall vinyl graphics out there right now could be fun on that television wall. Just peel them off when you tire of them or it is time to move.

Last edited by user1007; 11-10-2012 at 08:53 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #4

If you are looking for impact pick one of the accent colors of the decorative pillow that is on the chair. It will help tie everything together. You can also make the space look even more put together if you use a second accent color and paint above the fireplace on both sides. It is a great feature of the room that right now is lost in that sea of white.

Cheers
Interiors by Artie
ArtieInteriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post

I love these colors they would look good for your living room
Old 11-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I remembered I squirreled away this URLs for a rainy day. I have no experience with the companies and did not look at pricing. You may be able to do just as well with a large graphic output printer near you? I do think the removable and repositionable versions would be nice for tenants? Maybe an alternative to a painted accent wall?

I am sure there are many more companies like this out there. I mean Fast Signs franchises are in near every city and even Kinko's does large output graphics.

http://www.muralsyourway.com/?mmwaf=...Feg-MgodnkMA9g

http://www.wallfloweronline.com/
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:43 AM   #7

I think it all depends on which is very convenient and very comfortable for the family and also for your preference. At the end of the day, your decision still matters the most.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #8

Since everything in that room is a different color, earth tones. They go with just about everything and they do look nice. I would go with something light in tone though to make the space look bigger. That, and lighter colors are easier paint over.
Dillonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:45 PM   #9
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

imho accent walls are out .
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:14 AM   #10

As I said before the color of the furniture should complement the walls or the walls should complement the furniture. It is essential to give that stylish impact the your visitors would love. Lights could also do wonders. You could install some dashing light fixtures on your walls to make it more inviting and relaxing.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #11

I think this is a great space for an accent wall! I agree that the lighting suggested is a little "club-esk" but I think if you replaced the color in the furniture with simpler tones (I like the wicker of the one basket, natural tones are always my favorite) you could have more fun with the wall. Patterns are really in this year too. You can either DIY it with painters tape or use wallpaper or even removable wallpaper (www.wallsneedlove.com has a couple of my favorites). Make the wall your centerpiece with some pattern and I think it would be perfect! Subduing the colors of your furniture will give you more room to experiment too. Good luck!
WebberMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,450

Not a fan of the wall colored lighting. Looks Miami Vice and 80s club to me.

One problem is some colors will clash with those pink drawers. Otherwise, I like a dark red wall there, gives something of a movie theater feel (classic movie theaters have dark red curtains surrounding the screen). Maybe Red Bay, Tanager, or Rave Red. Stolen Kiss if you like it more muted. Maybe Chinese Red but the problem is that might start looking orangy with your couch.

Last edited by jeffnc; 12-06-2012 at 08:12 PM.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:15 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

My suggestion for people who don't know where to begin with paint colors is to find a pastel paint to use for the walls, and a bold static color to use for wood trim. Always gives the room much more pop. If you need decorating ideas, I'd start with finding wall art kits online.
henrylarry6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 25

You can also find an "inspiration fabric" to draw your colors from. Use that fabric in drapes and pillows and pull out 3 colors from it to use for wall color, solid color furniture, etc.
Kansas Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #15

With that small of a space I would definitely go with lighter colors. There is such a vast array of them you could make the "look" itself just about anything you want.

Metro is offline   Reply With Quote