1st Home, Looking For Living Room Ideas! - Interior Decorating - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2011, 11:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

1st home, looking for living room ideas!

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site, because this is the first time I have needed to worry about remodeling a home!

So, the home I bought is a rehabbed place, so no crazy colors or anything, but unfortunately, its like almost entirely grayish. Gray fireplace, grayish paint, grayish carpet!

My middle name is actually Gray, no joke, but I am not a fan of a gray color scheme. So, the dimensions of the living room are 17' by 13', and obviously, the fireplace is right in the center.

My ideas/questions-I want to put in wood laminate flooring, either a medium color or maybe darkish cherry color. I want to paint the walls, something neutral, but not a yellow. So either make them nice and fully white, or do a tan or beige or something. I want a bright cheery look to the room. Also, I am trying to figure out placement of the tv. I don't have an entertainment center or anything really for it yet, just a cheap tv stand from target right now, so any ideas on where to put the tv and color/ type of tv stand is also appreciated. If you think the fireplace can be made to look a little more modern without a terribly expensive/difficult update, please share those ideas also!

Thank you in advance!

PS-I close on the house Feb. 24th, my husband wants to move in asap, but since our lease is not up until April 30th, I do not mind taking the time to get this right before we move in!
Attached Images

Advertisement

sassyangel1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,342

Just another home owner here, not an expert. But for the wall color I would pick a prominent color from the brick in the fireplace for the walls (since you're thinking about paint them a neutral color). I can't tell what the colors are from the picture, so see what others think of that idea first.

For an entertainment center, if you or your husband are handy with tools, try http://ana-white.com/ for some simple design ideas. That site used to be called knock-off wood dot com or something similar.

I hope you'll post more pictures as you're going along and when you're finished putting it all together.

And, CONGRATULATIONS!!! on your new home! I hope you and your husband have many happy years together there.

Barb

Advertisement

gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #3

Congrats!. A beautiful stone fireplace will complete your living room decor.
JB818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:06 AM   #4

A nice beige color on the walls would look great in this room. Especially with hard wood. I see you have a ceiling fan light and some natural light from the window. You might look into some additional lighting depending on how dark of a beige you decide to go with the walls.
alongston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:10 AM   #5

I'm thinking place the TV on the opposite side of the fireplace, or place it on the left side of the fireplace directly facing the window.
poyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:35 AM   #6

Hi. It's hard to see the room by the two pictures that you posted. Can you take some pictures that show the complete room, such as the entrance to the room and pictures that show the windows and any doors that may be there. Does this room have an adjoining room that you would need to blend in? Do you want the fireplace to stand out and make it a focal point or do you have another focal point, such as nice views?
Do you want the room to have a cool feel about it or warm feel and what style of furniture do you plan on using?

Advertisement

rachel d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decorating , fireplace , first house , help! , living room