Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Interior Decorating

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

1980's kitchen has to go!

We have been in the house two years now and the kitchen has finally gotten to me to the point where it has to be changed!!!! RIGHT NOW!

The colors make me feel as though I'm in a giant pumpkin. Not only that, but the cabinets show every finger print and grease smudge and no matter what products i use the area around the handles always appears shiny while the remainder of the cabinet is very mat.

I'd like to have white cabinets and a milder color of wall paint. I also don't know what i can do about the one row of accent tiles but I'm thinking of painting them (either white or the same color as the wall color we select but in a ceramic paint) as I am doing this on a budget. This is not a gally kitchen... there is a matching set of cabinets just off to the left of the picture and a full eat in area behind me to the right. The floors are large hardwood and will be refinished a little darker than in the picture. Perhaps darker cabinets (like chocolate) and lighter walls?

does anyone have a vision that they could share with me to fix this kitchen. What colors would you use on the walls and kitchen to make this room clean and fresh?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/ph...4&id=818120141

Attached Thumbnails
1980's kitchen has to go!-img_0835.jpg  

Last edited by loveme4keeps; 11-11-2009 at 09:47 PM.
loveme4keeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,358

I could not get your picture to post,please try again.

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,094

Same here, it says, "This content is currently unavailable."
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Ok.. i've tried attatching the picture instead of inserting it (it wouldn't let me). Hopefully this time you can see the pumpkin kitchen now. Beyond the left side of the picture there is also a large floor to ceiling pantry with an appliance garage that is quite sizable looking as the ceilings are 10ft. Any colours i choose need to be not to bold ... but still.. i'm clueless when it comes to this stuff so please make suggestions!

Thnx
loveme4keeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,358

Will you be keeping the cabinets and just painting them?
If you will be changing the cabinets the tile back splash will likely need to be replaced also.

Nice photo-I under stand the pumpkin thing now---HaHa.
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:15 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,094

I can see the picture now.

The cabinets would look good painted white, but I'm not sure how the white would look with the white tile. It might look great, I'm really not a good judge of that.

If I had that much counter top space and that many cupboards, I'd be in my glory! Your kitchen is a nice size.

One nice thing too is that the doors don't have a lot of detail on them which makes it easier to keep them looking nice when they're painted white. I painted my cabinets white in '99 and I love how they brighten up the space. But the trim around the panels makes it very difficult to keep clean. I have to use a toothbrush to clean the parts a washcloth won't reach.

If you want to make things really easy on yourself, you could paint the walls red/pink and change the look from 'pumpkin' to 'watermelon'. lol, J/K.

Last edited by gma2rjc; 11-11-2009 at 10:21 PM.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:26 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

I like the layout of your kitchen.

The cabinets will look nice painted white with some new handles.
Granite countertops would be awesome.
Paint the wall a neutral color.
New backsplash.

Do you have stainless steel appliances? A center island would be nice with the sink in it.
llckll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #8
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 508

The white tile has got to go. Luckily that's a pretty-easy job to remove and replace with new tile. Painting the cabinets would be the easy way out, but I'm not sure how easy/successful that will be, depending on the finish. What is the cabinets' outer material: wood, laminate, metal? If you're looking for cheap, you can look into the cabinet companies that just refinish the visible parts of the cabinet - not sure how much that costs, but it has to be cheaper than all new cabinets, especially if it's just a laminate finish.

I wouldn't worry about paint or floor color until after you get the cabinets picked out. Will you be doing new counter-top too?

EDIT: Jeez, just realized this thread was from the beginning of November, with no updates since then - I wonder if there was any progress?

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote