DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Would you staple, nail or screw?

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  chad4290 
#1 ·
Would you staple, nail or screw my 1x6's to the floor joists so I can continue on with the next layer?

I can buy a really cool Senco stapler that would work well with my compressor.

... or I can buy some ring shank nails and do it the old fashioned back breaking way.

... or borrow my neighbors Senco screw gun. The reason I hesitate to try the screw gun is so many screw heads blocking the next layer of flooring.

...................:help:

#3 ·
Sounds to me you are not installing new 1x6 but re-fastening them preparing for the underlayment. If so, too late for glue. What kind of underlayment are you installing? What will the final floor covering be? The answer may make a difference on how the underlayment is installed.

Jaz

#4 ·
You're right Jaz, the 1x6 is existing. I haven't exactly decided what the floor will be in all the rooms but I sort of thought I could start off with 3/4" as a nice solid quiet layer to begin with, then add layers if needed for thinner floor coverings.
My neighbor thinks I should just use his screw gun to re-anchor those 1x6's but I'm afraid the wood is so dry all the ends will split or the head will not be flush. That's where the staple gun idea comes in.

#5 ·
Screwing is the best way to go, but you may have to pre-drill to avoid splitting the old boards? Nailing with 8D deck nails is also very good. The stapler may also work if the staples are rated for this type of work. Which model do you own?

Adding 3/4" underlayment over your 1x6 will give you a good subfloor from which to work from regardless of the new flooring. BUT, have you consulted a span chart to see if your joists system can handle certain types of tiles or natural stone tiles? That's what I thought. If you go with ceramic or stone tiles we need to know all about the joists just to make sure.

I asked about the type of flooring because with some flooring it is recommended that the new underlayment NOT be fastened to the joists, but rather just to the subfloor. The an appropriate backer board would go over that.

Jaz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.