Would Like Updated Opinions On Dura-ceramic Please - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Would like updated opinions on Dura-ceramic please

Hello All - I'm thinking about having dura-ceramic installed and the info about it I have found on this site is a little dated.

I know its not recommended to lay a floor on top of another finished floor. The floor company will do what I ask, whether remove the old sheet vinyl or install the dura-ceramic over it. They said if they lay the DC over the vinyl, they would first apply a thinset (something to that effect, can't remember) to fill any voids and make things level, then lay the DC down.

The dura-ceramic reviews on this site are from 2007 - 2009 and I was wondering if anything has changed with the product to make it better? New adhesive, Better grout, overall better product than past years?

I will add that I know ceramic tile would be a better choice, but I don't like the idea of ceramic tile over a wood subfloor. To much movement and I'm not dealing with grout cracking. It seems dura-ceramic has more flex and the grout is flexible too.

Advertisement

JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,318

Just like all products, there have been some failures. IMHO, this is not a product that will last for years. But neither will laminates or IVC vinyls. You get what you pay for. Oh, and the duraceramic grout can crack if improperly installed.

Advertisement

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Just like all products, there have been some failures. IMHO, this is not a product that will last for years. But neither will laminates or IVC vinyls. You get what you pay for. Oh, and the duraceramic grout can crack if improperly installed.
Yea, I know what you mean. Just torn on what to put down. Part of me wants a simple vinyl flooring to keep costs down and the other part of me wants a decent floor. I just don't think I'll be happy with porcelain or ceramic tile in the long run. I foresee lots of cracked grout over a wood subfloor and prefer something with more flex.
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

I personally do not like Duraceramic. I don't think it's a horrible product, it's just way overpriced for what you are getting. If you want a groutable vinyl tile, take a look at Shaw's new line of LVT. It's hard to find info on it on the internet since it's so new to their product line but several dealers should have it now. It's very similar to the Duraceramic product at about half the price. Permastone is another one that has been out for quite a while at a better price point.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,614

Quote:
I foresee lots of cracked grout over a wood subfloor
Nonsense !