Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2009, 09:35 AM   #1

Share |

Worth it to replace baseboards?

I understand this is a DIY forum, but I'd still like some opinions. We're replacing all the carpet in our house, and I really don't like the baseboards. I'd like to replace all of them with something a little nicer and not sure if it's worth it to do it myself or not. I'm planning on replacing them before the carpet is ripped out.

How big of a job is this? I've done a bunch of small projects on the house, but nothing this major. Our home is approx. 2300 sq. ft. How much would we expect for labor to have a contractor do it all?

scottyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:59 AM   #2

If you replace the baseboards first, then remove the carpet later on the lower edge could be damaged by the carpet removal and reinstallation . If in turn you replace the carpet with wood or ceramic you will then be laying a rough lower edge of the existing baseboard onto a straight surface.
I have just carefully pulled my carpet and baseboards and refloored but after 30 years and two carpet installs, as careful as I was the flooring guys prior left a nasty lower edge.
If anyone has an idea how to clean up a bottom edge bevel on 60 feet of 12-16 ft base board indoors. I would like to know. Otherwise you can replace them and be prepared to.

Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #3

I would wait to replace the baseboard until after the carpet has been installed. We just replaced all of our baseboard in our 1500 sf home.
vloh7 is offline   Reply With Quote