Working With Self Leveling Compound - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2010, 02:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

working with self leveling compound

Hello, I'm currently working on a bathroom floor project where I intend to use SL compound beneath a vinyl floor. The sub-floor(which I didn't install) is built upon the original floor and is consequently raised, this means there are some cracks and crevices where I'm worried the SL compound will creep into or over the edge while I lay it down. I've never worked with it before so I don't really know what the consistency is like and it occurred to me that I may need to setup some barriers. Am I off the mark here?

Sorry if this is a stupid question and any pointers would be appreciated.

Advertisement

mooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

It is roughly the consistency of soup, and will flow to any point not blocked. It goes down pinholes, etc.

But I am confused about your statement on the under floors. The subfloor is generally the bottom most layer, and originally installed when the house was built. Depending on what is over that, can make or break a new floor, especially tile. Vinyl is usually not an issue, but having a songy layer under ceramic tile will cause grout and/or tile breakage.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 101

I too am about to use this stuff on reccomendation, to help even up the floor in two bedrooms that formerly had tile in them. When I removed the tile virtually all of the thinset (it looks more like cement) stayed glued to the concrete slab floor, so I've been left with an uneven surface over which i want to lay carpet.

I figure even with the underlay as an extra barrier if I don't fill the gaps I'll probably be able to feel the uneveness through the carpet, so I was going to use the leveling compound to sort it out. The answer given regarding the consistency is of help, as I too was wondering what kind of barriers to set up to keep the stuff within the confines of the room.

What about when you're replacing tile with tile - should you still even out the surface, or can the new thinset be used to fill in the gaps and raised slightly for the bonding process to the new tile? I'm a little concerned how this is all going to work, as I'm transitioning from the two bedrooms where tile has been removed out into a family room/kitchen where the new tile is going down - I would hope that I can keep the level between the two material (the carpet and the tile) even in height.
timbo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Double check with which leveller you buy. Some of them require a primer to be put down first(two coats) to cover the warranty. This will guarantee that the self leveller will stick.
Russman is offline   Reply With Quote