Woohoo ... Got The New Bamboo Floor Installed ... Baseboard Question - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2010, 04:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Woohoo ... got the new bamboo floor installed ... baseboard question

I am here to share my happiness with you guys I removed the old carpet, spongy underlayment, perimeter stick with little nails, then tried my best to level the floor with roof shingles, installed new underlayment and the bamboo floor in two of the bedrooms

I left around 3/4" inch of space at all perimeters for the floor to expand, now I am deciding on baseboard, I am leaning toward the simplest, plain, rectangular baseboard + quarter round trim.

The rooms are 8' high, how tall of the baseboards do you think I should get ? 5" or 7" ? What material should I get ? I still need to paint them before installing them right? I don't think I see any that's prepainted semi-glossy. Should I paint them before installing them or after so I can fill the finishing nail holes then paint?

When I install the baseboards, they should be placed higher then the bamboo floor with a gap between the subfloor and the bottom of the baseboard right ?

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Woohoo ... got the new bamboo floor installed ... baseboard question-p1140435-large-medium-.jpg   Woohoo ... got the new bamboo floor installed ... baseboard question-p1140436-large-medium-.jpg   Woohoo ... got the new bamboo floor installed ... baseboard question-p1140427-large-medium-.jpg   Woohoo ... got the new bamboo floor installed ... baseboard question-p1140408-large-medium-.jpg   Woohoo ... got the new bamboo floor installed ... baseboard question-p1140276-large-medium-.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by Stephen S.; 02-18-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Stephen S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Floors look great! I love bamboo though.

I would keep it simple with 5" and quarter round if that is what you have in mind. Pine or fir if you are going to paint. No knots though. No reason to buy hardwood.

You can prime and paint and then touch up when installed. Even if the trim did come pre-primed and painted I would not trust the finish.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:05 AM   #3
Handyman

Rewards Points: 500

Indeed..floor looks great! You did a great job at cutting the casement as well. IMO the room looks too small for anything more than a 5" baseboard. For a real impact you may consider crown moulding.

When I install pre-primed bb and crown I always prime it again myself and then paint. The finish just seems to look better.

You can nail up the baseboard without a space just so long as you direct the nails (or nailer) towards the wall. Also, use 2" nails for the quarter round to ensure you are hitting wood.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,298

Just make sure the base isn't pushed down tight on the bamboo and you'll be OK.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Looks GREAT!
Did you use nails, cleats or staples? The floor is 5/8" thick?
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:17 AM   #6
msv
Hardwood pro

Floor looks really nice.. great DIY job!
For the base, if you want real quality, look for poplar(wood) baseboards. they're used mainly in high-end houses. you should prime it before installing, even if it comes primed. you have to paint it after installation because you will need to fill nail holes, corner joints(you won't get perfect cuts, i guarantee you that). make sure when you nail the base that you DON"T NAIL THROUGH THE FLOOR, but directly into the wall.
I'd use 5 inch, as 7 is too massive and only looks good with 9+ft ceilings and large rooms.
Again, congrats on a great project.
P.S.: if you want to avoid the Massive look of the trim, you can even go for the 4" base with shoemoulding instead of the quarterround.(dunno if that's gonna cover your 3/4" expansion gap tough)
i like the crown molding suggestion. because bamboo has such a modern look, and i think you like that(you said you want the square base), why don't you paint one wall a different color?(accent wall) I think that would look awsome. find a contrasting color and put it on the "Head board wall" if that's a bedroom....Just my 2 cents....

Last edited by msv; 02-25-2010 at 12:22 AM.
msv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:43 AM   #7

Thank you for the great suggestions and compliments. I'm getting 5"-6" pine/poplar (depends what they have tomorrow) to finish the flooring. I'll prime/paint them with semi gloss white.

Crown moldings/window and door trims were next in my plan, gotta finish the flooring first. Just wondering how do I make a window trim like this one ? Is it a combination of a few trims ?

@Mikhail: I used 1.5" staples with a pneumatic floor nailer to install the bamboo floor. I am glad I paid a bit more for the pneumatic version otherwise I may install the floor still...

@msv: I painted the "head board wall" white in one of the rooms (picture 3) .. not sure what other color I should paint ...

Last edited by Stephen S.; 02-26-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Stephen S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

That flooring is a beauty, we are having bamboo floors installed in all the rooms of the house we just bought that has carpet right now

Good job man

Advertisement

syndicate1 is offline   Reply With Quote