Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Wood look tile

Has anyone ever laid wood look tile before? I have done quite a few tile jobs at my house but have never used anything long and thin like this. This is going down on the concrete slab in my basement that I am finishing. I was thinking about going with a staggered pattern, but after researching through pictures I think I'll do something more random so the grout joints on the short end don't line up too often.

My one main concern is that the floor does have a decent slope to it towards a floor drain in the center. I decided to keep the floor drain in case of any unforeseen circumstances and made it so the top will be flush with the tile. It'll be covered by an area rug anyhow.

Any tips and/or tricks are appreciated.

Branden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wood look tile

Hi Branden,

A dished shaped slope is not compatible with ceramic tiles, as they won't bend. The floor needs to be flat, which means you'll need to do a lot more work to get it within specs. The floor needs to be flat, (not necessarily level), within 1/8" in 10 ft. otherwise you're liable to have lippage at minimum.

Assuming these tiles will be anywhere from 24-36" long, you'll want to offset by no more than 1/3, not by 1/2 like in the running bond pattern. (brick/subway) Tiles that long may have inherent warpage and this will minimize lippage where the tiles meet in a "T". Since the tiles are all the same size, the offset will repeat.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
Live_Oak (09-26-2013)
Old 09-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

Wood look tile

Random pattern + large format tile = lippage and trippage. Read the manufacturer's recommendations. They won't recommend any more than the 1/3 offset that JazMan is telling you to do above.
Live_Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Merle West

Rewards Points: 10

Wood look tile

Some of that stuff I have seen is made cheaply. One good scratch and you have to replace the whole tile.

Last edited by oh'mike; 09-30-2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: removed link
Merle West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 83

Wood look tile

Get a few sample pieces and sight down the long edge as if it were a 2x4 piece of lumber. See any curve in the tile? Cheap planks have more curve.

Or take a piece and set a level or straight edge on it. Look between the level and tile for gaps.

Tips? If you choose to use this type of tile check your floor with a 10' straight edge. Fill the low spots. High spots need to be ground down. While a tight joint looks good, it's harder to set unless your floor is very flat. A bit larger joint will help. Chalkline a nice straight starting line. Follow Sam's advice about the random spacing.
olzo55 is offline   Reply With Quote