Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Wood laminate flooring on a cement slab foundation?

Hi, again! I had posted before asking about pad-attached carpet and plank vinyl on a cement slab foundation, but now we're leaning towards wood laminate in the living room and family room for various reasons. The info on it says it can be installed on concrete, but we had read somewhere laminate wasn't a good idea on a concrete slab. The home currently has a mix of tile, laminate, and carpet, with no signs of moisture issues anywhere. Is laminate okay directly on the slab (with an underlayment)? Thanks!

dandh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

what are the manufacturers recommendations? that's what you need to follow. some shouldn't be installed below grade.

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,020

No such thing as a wood laminite.
Do you mean engineered flooring?
Big differance.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,108

laminate is a picture of wood glued to a pressed sawdust backing.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 12:03 AM   #5

I'm sorry; I do understand what laminate is, I just haven't been sleeping much. No, not engineered wood, we're just looking at laminate with a wood "picture"/pattern, if you will. It's the Saratoga Hickory stuff HD is selling right now and it's about all we can afford. It says on HD's website under the product description that it can be installed on concrete, but we were just hoping someone on here might know if that's still a good idea or not. It would be above grade; there is no crawl space or basement.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,020

With a vaper barrer it should be fine. Also may need the padding, depends on what the manufacture suggest.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
dandh (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

You should get proper guide line for wood flooring, Its not well wood flooring on tile floor. consult with an engineer and try to understand the proper installment procedure before work start.
Gaven32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:58 AM   #8

Always consult the manufacturer for installation details, but in general if you properly install a vapor barrier you can almost always go over concrete. Quiet Walk is one that I've used many thousands of feet of, and there are others out there that work well. The quiet walk has a vapor barrier as well as a padding and sound proofing so you don't get as much of the hollow "clack" of heels hitting a hollow floor. Most vapor barriers consist of a piece of thin plastic, that's it, so if you want any other benefits you're going to want to do some research and find something to suit your needs. To upgrade from a piece of plastic to a really nice 3 n 1 type laminate underlayment in our area might cost you roughly .30 cents per square foot more.

If all else fails call the manufacturer and ask them if their product is recommended for your particular installation. If the company doesn't have a means of contacting them then they are probably best left alone and you should choose a company with at least some form of technical support regarding installation.
RWCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCustom View Post
Always consult the manufacturer for installation details, but in general if you properly install a vapor barrier you can almost always go over concrete. Quiet Walk is one that I've used many thousands of feet of, and there are others out there that work well. The quiet walk has a vapor barrier as well as a padding and sound proofing so you don't get as much of the hollow "clack" of heels hitting a hollow floor. Most vapor barriers consist of a piece of thin plastic, that's it, so if you want any other benefits you're going to want to do some research and find something to suit your needs. To upgrade from a piece of plastic to a really nice 3 n 1 type laminate underlayment in our area might cost you roughly .30 cents per square foot more.

If all else fails call the manufacturer and ask them if their product is recommended for your particular installation. If the company doesn't have a means of contacting them then they are probably best left alone and you should choose a company with at least some form of technical support regarding installation.
Thanks! Just to clarify--the Quiet Walk you're referring to, then, would suffice as the vapor barrier and the pad, correct? It's a 3-in-1 product and would be all we would need? Where do you buy yours?

I tried contacting the manufacturer...the laminate we'd like to use is the Hampton Bay laminate from HD on special right now for $.99 (I know what most on here would say about HD, and please don't flame me, it's the only thing I've liked in our price range, which is less than $1.50/sq. ft. It's truly ALL we can afford right now) That being said...I couldn't get through to the actual manufacturer, HD of course wants us to buy their $.69/sq. ft. underlayment, so I was hoping to find something cheaper than that. I saw Menards sells the Quiet Walk for roughly $.45/sq. ft., unless there's somewhere I can buy it cheaper.

Does the "r-value" (as the Quiet Walk advertises) actually affect much in regards to keeping a floor on cement warmer? Are there some products that perform better in that regard? Thanks so much for all the help!!