Wood Laminate In The Bathroom? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Wood laminate in the bathroom?

My fiance wants to put Cordova Cherry laminate wood flooring in our master bathroom. I am hesitant because i have seen what happens to laminate when water hits it. What would we need to do to ensure that the wood is sealed against water and moisture? I know polyurethane would protect the top surface, but it would not protect the edges.

Advertisement

firsttimeremode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

I've got a bit of experience with this and I'd stay away from it. It tends to swell along the edges when it gets wet. Another great option is vinyl plank flooring. That's what I'm using in my current master bath. It looks great and holds up really well in wet areas.

Advertisement

BennyT907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #3

ive had vinyl plank flooring, it was coming apart before it left the box. That tells me its bad quality. I know laminate swells when it gets wet, thats why i need to know how to seal it.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #4

There's really no way to actually seal a floating floor like a laminate after it's installed, unfortunately.
BennyT907 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BennyT907 For This Useful Post:
rusty baker (09-12-2012)
Old 09-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 678

No such thing as a wood laminite, do you mean engineered flooring?
Really does not matter both should not be used in a bathroom.
Sheet limolium, tile with a wood grain look, but no floating, or wood flooring.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #6

There are ceramic tiles that mimic wood. I don't recall where I saw them but I was impressed. No wood floor including laminate and engineered will hold up to water just as everyone has indicated. Check out ceramic and if budget is an issue go with vinyl.
retired guy 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

if she really wants wood in the bathroom try brazillian tigerwood or ipe, both are used for outside decking also.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #8

Danny T, just a quick question.
Using outdoor rated wood inside sounds like it would fit the bill except for water that might seep through to the subfloor. To prevent that wouln't there need to be some sort of sealant between each board?
retired guy 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #9

By the way Joecaption, there is such a thing. Look it up on Lowes.com. Its called laminate flooring, made to look like hardwood. That is what we are putting in the rest of the house, its just worrisome to try to put it in the bathroom because of the moisture and the fact that neither of us seem to be able to take a shower without getting water on the floor.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeremode View Post
By the way Joecaption, there is such a thing. Look it up on Lowes.com. Its called laminate flooring, made to look like hardwood. That is what we are putting in the rest of the house, its just worrisome to try to put it in the bathroom because of the moisture and the fact that neither of us seem to be able to take a shower without getting water on the floor.
firsttimeremode,

Both laminate and hardwood are temperamental to moisture and bathrooms. If you want to do it, you can seal the perimeter of the floor (especially next to shower/bath tub, and around the toilet) with pure silicone sealant. Make sure to use a high quality sealant because you will be putting into the expansion gap, and it needs to remain flexible so the flooring can continue to expand and contract. This will help keep water spills on top of the flooring and help prevent the water from getting under the floor which is troublesome.

Alternatively, a locking vinyl plank floor will give you the same look and be less prone to water damage.

Best,
onflooring
onflooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 252

I agree with the others, I would avoid hardwood, engineered wood, or laminate in your bathroom. Instead I would suggest; tile, stone, vinyl, linoleum etc.
Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #12

I don't want to rain on your parade, but have you really considered the consequences of putting laminate in a bathroom? What if the tub overflows? What if the toilet overflows? The underlayment will get soggy and wet. You would have to seal all along the wall, tub and toilet perfectly to prevent a mess. Newer systems claim to be waterproof, but are they really? That stuff is basically particle board. Have you ever seen wet particle board? It swells and crumbles. If you go ahead with this, buy the most expensive underlayment. It will compress less under the toilet. Make a pattern out of craft paper for around the tub. Cut those pieces precisely, then fill the the gap with 100% silicone. The floor also has to move freely. If you have large area, and the toilet impedes movement, it may buckle. I would not use laminate flooring in a bathroom. A kitchen, maybe.
barry1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:56 PM   #13

thanks for the input, everyone. we talked about it and decided to keep the current linoleum for now. its in good condition and the pattern isnt too ugly so we will stick with it for now and change it out later

Advertisement