Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2007, 02:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

wood floors in bathroom?

Just wondering, are the current hard wood/simulated woods suitable for installation in a bathroom in regards to the moisture or water on the floor? Will it cause warping? I'm talking about the prefinished stuff from the local hardware suppliers...

elementx440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:10 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

wood floors in bathroom?

Generally...hardwood is not a well recommeded choice for bathrooms. Simply put: Wood and water don't mix well.
If using hard wood, it is vital that all joints be TIGHT and there should be several + layers of clear sealant applied to completely 'seal' the floor.

Laminates: If installed per manufacturer's specifications most will cover it under their warranties (i.e.-dupont flooring).
Laminate floor planks are really a 'picture' of the wood that they are supposed to 'mimic' or represent. The core of a laminate plank is full of 'water-proof' resin. On top of the 'wood picture' surface is a melamime protective coating. Thus, it tends to be more durable than wood if installed in a bathroom.

(FWIW - We have installed laminate flooring in bathrooms and kitchens...after carefully checking with each manufacture's specs.
Bathrooms require the toilet to be placed 'on top of' the flooring, like you would with tile work. Clear silicone needs to cover all exterior edges...to keep any possible moisture out. This last part is usually required for warranty...)

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 02-16-2007 at 08:17 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

wood floors in bathroom?

I've installed somewhere between 50 and a 100 powder rooms in laminate, engineered hardwood and solid 3/4 oak over the years only have had one water related problem, that was from a poorly installed wax ring toilet flange seal. I fill all expansion gaps with silicone and plenty of it.
I have never done a full bath but have torn several out due to water damage all due from tub shower over spray over flow
Zero Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

wood floors in bathroom?

water will affect wood or laminate unless it is mannington's ICORE.
Properly installed will give you more time to clean up.

that's about it.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote