DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wood floor on a tongue & groove subfloor.

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  DannyT 
#1 ·
Hello, first time here, but i would like to know if anyone could shed some light on me regarding installing a 3/4" hard wood floor (4 3/4 wide solid oak) on a sub floor that is tongue and groove, resting on a 4 foot center floor joist.:censored: lol

I plan on going under house and changing areas to 2 foot centers to give more support.

The question i have is, should i put a plywood down of some sort to lay the wood flooring onto to give a level surface or what?

The wood floor is going in same direction as subfloor....this definitely looks to be a problem.

Also, it will be running along side of my kitchen tile that is on a thin backer board which made the tile very close to the subfloor. In other words if i put in plywood its gonna raise my hardwood noticeably higher than my kitchen.

Am i screwed or what? Any help would be GREAT!!! :thumbsup:

#3 ·
I'm no expert, but my husband and I are currently in the process of putting in wood flooring as well. We also have joists with 4' centers (even if people don't believe they exist). But we have 1" plywood subfloor. What we did for more support was to block all the joists under the room being worked on with 2x6's going in the reverse direction to the original joists.

Also, I don't believe the height difference is a huge problem, you can get reducer transitions to go from the higher wood floor to the lower tile- it also isn't that uncommon to have different height floors.

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.