Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2008, 12:00 PM   #1
wilderstyle

Share |

Wood Floor Product

Can any body give me a heads up on a wood floor product that restores old wood floors? I have washed it with murphy's oil soap and steel wool which has left it dull in the worn areas. It probably needs the real deal, clean, sand, refinish. The house is 100 years old, thus so is the floor. It is a rental so I just want to enhance it at a lesser expense. I know there will be a ton of products out there to select from. I am requesting opinions on off the shelf products. Thanks.
wilderstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
MN

Wood Floor Product

As a wood floor retailer and installer, I never like to recommend "all in one" or touch up products...but, I have used MinWax Hardwood Floor Reviver and had no problems with it. It is available at most box stores (around $20). For a rental property, this may brighten things up for the short term.
Good Luck,
Kurt
TileAndTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
wilderstyle

Wood Floor Product

Thanks, it's actually a rental that I live in. It is an 1800's house that I am renting until he sells it to me! I have been fixing it up to endear myself to him, a little at a time (mostly with his money or for rental money). The only room that is not a wood floor is the black and white linoleum kitchen. I have used minwax products for staining. I know there will be a ton of stuff. How bout a cleaning product, something other than murphies?
wilderstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:52 PM   #4
Still Learning

Wood Floor Product

The more cleaning products you bring into the picture could create finishing problems at a later date. I would go easy on it. You may be able to just clean it with mineral spirits (all heating or flame sources turned off with plenty of ventilation) and use a rotary buffer with a large steel wool pad. Hard to say without actually being there.
HardwoodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote