Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #1

Share |

wood floor next to bathroom

I'm refurbishing an old room at the rear of the house and turning it into a study. My original idea was to use the same glue down solid wood flooring we'd used in the rest of the house, but I'm having second thoughts about it given that this room adjoins the master bathroom, with the door to the future study right next to the shower cubicle. I'm a little concerned in case we might get the odd occasion when excess water splashes out from the shower and runs under the door and on to the wooden floor, which of course would play havoc with it.

I've thought about laying a raised joining strip between the tile and wood, perhaps with silicone underneath it to completely seal the join. That way if any spillage does run towards the doorway the strip will act as a mini dam.

Any thoughts on whether laying a solid wood floor so close to a bathroom is asking for trouble?

The other alternative we've thought of is to use a cork flooring product that might be more resistant to water.

stephenbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #2

wood floor next to bathroom

Having a wood floor in an adjoining room will be just fine. I might just put a rug right inside the bathroom door or right outside of the bathroom. I would also suggest having an exhaust fan installed if you don't already have one.

Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote