Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2007, 07:02 PM   #1

Share |

Wood floor or carpet?

I plan to replace the flooring in my apartment. The question is which material would be better?

I've seen wood floors that look great and seemed to last forever. But I talked to a handyman who told me wood floors could be endless trouble, and replacing them a nightmare. This is why I am hesitating to install wood (my wife would like wood).

Any opinions?

darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Wood floor or carpet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsunt View Post
I plan to replace the flooring in my apartment. The question is which material would be better?

I've seen wood floors that look great and seemed to last forever. But I talked to a handyman who told me wood floors could be endless trouble, and replacing them a nightmare. This is why I am hesitating to install wood (my wife would like wood).

Any opinions?
First mistake: Taking professional advice regarding hardwood flooring from a handyman....

My house was built in 1940. I still have the original hardwood floors that look great with VERY minimal upkeep. I would not want anything else on my home's floors, but hardwood.

Look into Prefinished hardwood flooring (no messy sanding & staining...simply install it)

Example: http://www.bellawood.com/

http://www.bellawood.com/images/BW.pdf
(50 year manufacturer warranty & EASY maintenance directions at end of this .pdf)

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 07-07-2007 at 07:39 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:59 AM   #3

Wood floor or carpet?

Wood floors are great, if properly installed. The other big plus is that wood doesn't tend to hold dust the way carpet can. Wood flooring can be refinished if it gets worn. Carpet has to be replaced when worn. The rest is purely up to an individuals preference.

Gerry
Gerry Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:17 PM   #4
Home Improvement Guy

Wood floor or carpet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsunt View Post

Any opinions?
In my area some apartment complexes don't allow wood flooring because of the noise.
ron schenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:59 PM   #5

Wood floor or carpet?

It looks like many positive opinions towards wood, except for the noise. I would guess a hardwood floor would be three or four times as expensive as carpet, however.

Last edited by darsunt; 07-10-2007 at 11:04 PM. Reason: improve message
darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:51 AM   #6

Wood floor or carpet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Look into Prefinished hardwood flooring (no messy sanding & staining...simply install it)
While this is true, there are a couple of design considerations. I think most if not all pre-finished floors have a slight chamfer on each edge, maybe a 1/16" of an inch. When the whole floor is installed, you will have noticeable lines....not that it's bad or not...but something to consider. We installed the floor in the picture for the color and the lines are just another element. Personally I like a flat smooth floor.... we compromised on the flooring choice and well you now who won... the SWHMBO....
Attached Thumbnails
Wood floor or carpet?-hardwoodfloor_sm.jpg  
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:08 PM   #7

Wood floor or carpet?

What you are talking about is a "square edge" wood.

Yes they are available. I happen to like the eased edges.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #8

Wood floor or carpet?

I'm getting rid of all my carpet and installing 3/4" hard pre-finished red oak flooring. It last longer than carpet and is a lot cleaner and easy to maintain. My dining room and foyer was done 2 years ago, and my family love it.
masscat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:30 PM   #9

Wood floor or carpet?

Hard wood floor is the way to go I did my entire house with prefinished 3/4 red oak, upstairs and downstairs.

helpless handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:12 PM   #10

Wood floor or carpet?

We have wood floors but they have a plywood substrate with brazilian cherry veneer. The floors came with the house when we bought it. The only problem we've had is it seems really susceptible to scratching. I think it’s because of the fact it’s not solid. It’s only as hard as the plywood beneath it. I’ve also got a couple of gouges where the substrate is showing through the veneer. Even with that said I love the floors. They are really easy to clean.