DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wood Floating floors on heated concrete

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ccarlisle 
#1 ·
Can you tell me what kind of underlay/pad you would recommend for putting under a wood floating floor on underfloor heated concrete ? Do not want to insulate the wood from the concrete but want to distribute the heat evenly
So can't use the foam and foil underlay that is normally used
yours Tim

#3 ·
Engineered floors on heated concrete

Hi Jogr, The original flooring company is Chieftain but I can't find their site on the web ??
The flooring has been imported into New Zealand by a local lumber company and they are selling it here .... must people say you can just glue it down to concrete but our building department down here in Nelson NZ are a totally paranoid lot so will not allow glue down unless specifically allowed by the manufacturer ( or more like they just want to cover their ass in the case of any problems )
The supplier here tells me that " there is a special underlay for heated floors "
but has never used it and can't remember the name !!
I have done a bit of research and couple of other flooring companies in NZ say it can be done using 'radiant heat paper' and another one called "Soprema Velaphone" which appears to be an acoustical underlay to stop noise
Does anyone know Chieftain products and if they have a website ?
Thanks Tim

#4 ·
You really have to know what you're dealing with when you come out and say: "glue down and concrete" in the same installation, and most of what you have to be sure of is what you can't see. Strength, humidity level, spalling etc...so IMO unless you know how that concrete is and how it will react to moisture, then a glue-down is questionable at best. So perhaps your building dept is CYA but on the other hand perhaps they know something you don't.

And that is to say nothing of how that moisture interacts with the heating system and how both relate to your 'unknown' flooring...how hot is the floor heating system anyway? is it hydronic? some systems don't let the floor get above 85 degF for a good reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.