Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #1

Share |

Wood to Carpet with Reducer

I'm in the process of installing laminate flooring in my hall and living area. The wood will meet carpet at three doorways and I plan to use a reducer. I'm wondering whether or not I will need a tack strip at the doorways or if tucking it under the reducer is enough. My thoughts are to glue the reducer to the wood and have a tack strip at the carpet edge and tuck the excess under the reducer. This is my first time working with any of this so I really have no idea. Heres a pic of what I am working with.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood to Carpet with Reducer-img_8401.jpg  

MisterSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #2

Carpet needs to be cut back more, the trasition needs to be in the middle of the door stops or your going to see two differant types of flooring.
The transition strips for laminite floors comes with a strip that gets screwed to the floor then the transition gets tapped into place.
There made so the laminite can move under them and not pull apart.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #3

I know the carpet and strips at the jambs are too long. I wanted to leave some extra before I proceeded. The transition strip will be right at the door stop so both wont be showing. The reducers and t moldings did not come with any tracks. Its actually bamboo flooring and the transitions are bamboo as well. I did see some at HD that had tracks but did not match the flooring. My main concern is whether or not tack strips should be placed along the doorway or if tucking the carpet under the reducer will suffice??? The instructions for the transitions says to glue or nail.....
MisterSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Put tackstrip where it ends up under the edge of the transition. Just tucking it under the transition will not hold the stretch and it will wrinkle.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote